Making this blueberry kuchen takes me back to the summers when my mother would have us pick wild berries. And she would tell us “kids” to stay outside till we had a full container filled with the berries.
Because my mom never really followed a recipe, she seemed magical to us! The smile on her face, and the light in her eyes as she added a “pinch” of this, & a “bit” of that had us in awe. And watching her make blueberry kuchen made us realize the love she had for cooking.
Ida was raised in the plains of Kansas on a farm. Therefore, milking cows, making butter, & hanging the clothes on the line was just an average day. This was during the dust bowl, and times were tough.
And growing up on a farm, everything they made was with things they could harvest. From the eggs to the milk, to the butter, to the berries. Farm to table was the best!
Lemony notes with a hint of cinnamon will fill the air in your kitchen, and bring smiles to your family’s faces.
Are Blueberries Healthy?
Blueberries are packed with antioxidants and phytoflavinoids. Blueberries are also high in potassium and vitamin C, making them the top choice of doctors and nutritionists. Not only can they lower your risk of heart disease and cancer, they are also anti-inflammatory.
For Blueberry Crumb Kuchen Cake Batter
For Blueberry Crumb Kuchen topping:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Make crumb topping by combining 3 ingredients and mixing with fork, just till combined. You want to have this in clumps. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg.
- Whisk in sugar, vanilla & melted butter, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add in milk, slowly mixing through with whisk
- Add in zest, 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, a few grated of the nutmeg
- Stir in flour, mixture will be a bit lumpy, use whisk to break up big pieces, but do not over mix
- Pour batter into a greased parchment lined 8x12 pan
- Place blueberries over the batter
- Put the crumb mixture over the top
- Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, & a few zests of lemon
- Bake in center of oven for 40-5 minutes, turning half way through
- Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before cutting
Other berry breakfasts to make: