The smell of banana bread baking is always welcome at our house. My mother used everything, with no waste, so when the bananas went south, we got banana bread! She used to add in a “pinch” of this and a pinch of that. Never the same flavor profile, but always yummy! Our son’s have loved the version that I make, that always includes plenty of spices. This version I also add in orange zest. The cool thing about this recipe, is my boys can make it at college! You can make it in a blender! What college kid doesn’t have a blender in his or her apartment? For smoothies, of course!
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons orange rind
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup soft butter
- 1 egg
- 3 small bananas (cut up)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Heat oven to 350 Degrees
- Spray a rimmed cookie sheet with spray oil
- Scatter pecans on sheet, and bake for 10 minutes, stirring halfway thru
- Remove pecans from pan once roasted to cool
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt.
- In blender chop nuts for 10 seconds.
- Add ¾ cup to dry mixture, reserving balance to put on top
- In blender put sugar, butter, egg, bananas, orange rind and milk.
- Push puree for 15 seconds.
- Pour over dry ingredients and mix till moistened.
- Spray a sheet of parchment with spray oil
- Pour batter into a parchment lined loaf pan
- Apply balance of pecans on top
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes
- Since ovens vary, check for a spring back when touched, and a toothpick to come out clean
- Cool and serve sliced with butter or jam, or plane
- Category: bread
- Method: blender
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: banana bread cinnamon citrus pecans