Queso is always the hit of any weekend football party. Not only is cheese queso one of everyones most favorite party food, but it is so versatile!
And who wouldn’t love smoked brisket topped queso with hatch chiles? Both hatch chiles or Anaheim chiles can be used in this recipe. Consequently, if your taste buds are tender, you can use sweet green or red peppers instead.
If you don’t have a smoker, you can always get some extra smoked brisket next time y’all are out at your favorite BBQ place, and whip this up in no time!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ onion, chopped fine
- 3 small jalapenos, seeded, 1 cut into rings, 2 cut into small dice
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 2 Hatch chilies
- 1 pablano chili
- 3–4 garlic cloves, shredded finely with a micro plane
- 1 c. half and half
- 1 lb. white American cheese cut into cubes
- 6 oz Monterey jack cheese, cut into cubes
- 6 oz. Pepper Jack cheese, cut into cubes
Pico de Gallo:
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 small red onion, very small dice
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons finely minced fresh cilantro, to taste
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Dash of sea salt
- ¾ pound sliced brisket, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can black beans, drained, & rinsed with water
- 1 teaspoon chili lime spice
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- Place jalapeno rings into vinegar in glass bowl, sit aside
- Roast hatch chilies over an open flame till black. Add chilies into a glass bowl, and cover with plastic wrap for at least 20 minutes
Prepare Pico de Gallo:
- Now put all the ingredients for pico de Gallo into a bowl. Stir gently and check for seasoning. Set aside to allow flavors to blend.
- In a cast iron pan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the onion and sweat for 1 minute. Now add in jalapeno, sweating another minute.
- Stir in garlic, and continue to stir, until garlic melts into butter, making sure to not burn.
- Pour in half and half and bring to a simmer, stirring continuously. One by one add in all of the cubes of cheese and stir until melted.
Finish preparing the chilies:
- Remove hatch chilies & under running water, remove skin and seeds
- Slice chilies into small strips
- Stir chilies into the queso
- Warm the beef broth in a pan, to a slow simmer.
- Add smoked brisket and allow to warm gradually.
Finish the Queso with toppings:
- Squeeze ½ a lime into the black beans in a glass bowl, and sprinkle with chili lime seasoning
- Warm black beans for 45 seconds on microwave, then sprinkle with cilantro
- Top queso with black beans, brisket, additional jalapenos & cilantro
- Serve with warmed tortilla chips and guacamole
Substitute any of your favorite peppers for the hatch chilies.