When the holiday season rolls around, so do the cranberries. We find so many ways to use them. I always make cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving! Cranberry simple syrup is a must! And this can be added to so many cocktails!
So, we have added cranberry margaritas, cosmos (duh), and a holiday French 75 with gin and champagne to our parties every year! Hurray!
However, I was challenged to make a bourbon cocktail. As some of you may know, Bruce loves bourbon. And he drinks it neat. So I am the one over here making all the fancy drinks. Because I was challenged to make a bourbon drink, I accepted. You know I am always up for a challenge! #BourbonCocktailChallenge
Thinking about why all my gin and vodka drinks were so good made me realize, I GOT THIS! All it takes is some citrus, and a fancy simple syrup, and we are on our way to a cocktail that will not only look good, but taste good. Did I mention I like fancy drinks!
Enter, the Cranberry Bourbon Sour. I can’t even tell you in the history of my life if I ever had a bourbon or whiskey sour. So, I didn’t have anything to base it on. I did know that I liked fancy drinks. I also knew that something with a froth made me happy.
I never thought I could drink bourbon. I was wrong. This cocktail change my point of view. We hope you enjoy it as much as I do! (Let’s be real, I can’t say us, because Bruce likes his bourbon straight.
Bruce was a good sport and tasted both test batches I made. He gave me his thoughts, and a star is born. Cheers, friends.
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 1 ounce cranberry simple syrup
- 1 ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce fresh squeezed mandarin orange (cutie!)
- 1 egg white from a large egg
- 3 drops aromatic bitters
- 3 drops orange bitters
- 3 fresh cranberries
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- Using a metal drink skewer, pierce 3 fresh cranberries down core
- Insert fresh rosemary into the cranberries to create a garnish, set aside
- Measure all liquid ingredients, including egg white & bitters into cocktail shaker
- Dry shake, vigorously, without ice, to create foam
- Add ice, and shake vigorously again
- Double stain into chilled martini glass
- Garnish with rosemary speared cranberries