Feeling a little nostalgic, these Maurice Lenell Pinwheel cookies are from Bruce’s youth. Bruce has fond memories of visiting his Aunt Jean and Uncle Bob and snacking on Maurice Lenell Bakery in Chicago. Christmas Pinwheel cookies were a favorite of his.
These Maurice Lenell pinwheel cookies are rolled up with a vanilla and a milk chocolate layer of cookie dough, and rolled in red and green sugar. The flavor will keep you baking these for every holiday season!
Two layers of cookie dough are rolled out, then layered and rolled into logs. After a nice chill in the fridge, they are rolled in red and green sugar. This gives them the bright color and a tasty crisp edge. Slicing them with a sharp knife while they are ice cold is key to keeping the shape round.
What you will need to make these cookies:
- Baking powder
- Almond extract
- Chocolate chips
Add in for the chocolate batch:
- 4 oz. melted chocolate chips we used milk chocolate, but you can use semi-sweet
- Measure flour, salt, & baking powder out, set aside
- Beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition
- Add in almond and vanilla extract
- Add dry mixture and beat on low until just combined
- Scrape dough out of mixer and form a ball
- Split vanilla dough in half, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
For Chocolate Layer: Repeat above recipe and then add in chocolate:
- Melt milk chocolate in microwave on half power checking and stirring every 30 seconds
- Add melted chocolate into dough, and mix
- Split dough in half, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
- Roll out each ball of dough between parchment paper forming a rectangle, about 1/8 inch thick
- You will have 2 vanilla, and 2 chocolate rectangles
- Gently pull top parchment paper off of each of the cookie doughs
- Lay the chocolate layer on top of the vanilla layer
- Repeat this with 2nd set of cookie dough
- Roll each roll into a tight roll (think cinnamon rolls!)
- Roll one roll in red colored sugar and other in green colored sugar
- Wrap in plastic wrap and return to refrigerator for at least 30 minutes
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Bring rolls one at a time and re-roll into fresh colored sugar for a double coating!
- Slice into ¼ inch slices and place on cookie sheet, spacing at least 1 inch apart
- Bake 8-10 minutes, turning half way thru
- Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then cool on a wire cookie rack
- Keep in a covered container
Looking for more cookie recipes? Check these out!
Please go check out all of our friends cookie recipes!