INGREDIENTS FOR SPICY PECANS
- 2 cups whole pecans
- 2 teaspoon Vietnamese Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ancho Chili powder
INGREDIENTS FOR WAFFLES
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 7 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 2 teaspoons Mexican vanilla
- 2 teaspoons Vietnamese Cinnamon
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
HOW TO MAKE SPICY PECANS
- Heat a large frying pan on the stove top. Turn on medium-high heat.
- When the pan is hot, add the pecans, and spices-do not add any oil or cooking spray – the nuts have enough oils on their own to cook.
- Stir frequently with a spatula until the nuts turn golden brown and smell mouth-watering, tasting half way to add more cinnamon or ancho powder to your taste.
- Remove from heat, and if necessary, from pan, as they will continue to cook after being removed from the heat.
- Remove a few whole pecans and set aside for garnish.
- Chop pecans on a board with a knife, to a medium-fine consistency.
HOW TO MAKE WAFFLES
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, stirring just until nearly smooth; a few small lumps may remain.
- Gently fold in cooled spicy pecan mixture.
- Spray your waffle iron with a non-stick cooking spray before preheating it. Cook waffles according to the manufacturer’s directions. For an 8″ round waffle iron, use about 1/3 cup batter; cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the iron stops steaming.
- Serve with butter, warm maple syrup and top with whole spicy pecans. Enjoy!