- 1/3 cup cold salted butter, plus 2 tablespoons melted.
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Freshly cracked pepper, optional
- Pre heat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Measure all dry ingredients into a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Cut cold butter into slices and add to the dry mixture. Using a pastry cutter, cut butter into dry ingredients. You may also use a food processor at this point, but we prefer the pastry cutter. Look for pea size butter pieces.
- Pour buttermilk into mixture. Gently work the buttermilk into the flour just until it comes together. Do not over mix.
- Scoop mixture out onto a floured surface. Roll out dough till about an inch thick, and fold over. Roll out again, and repeat this one more time.
- Using a biscuit cutter, cut out shapes and place on parchment lined rimmed cookie sheet. Space biscuits at least 1 inch apart, as they will expand when baked.
- Brush tops with melted butter. Add fresh cracked pepper to some for pepper biscuits.
- Bake for 12 minutes, spinning half way through. Ovens vary, so check for doneness by gently pulling up on one biscuit between the layers. If it is still doughy, bake for another few minutes, covering with foil lightly if already browned.
- Category: bread