Everyone seems to have their own twist on crab cakes. For us, it is using colorful red and orange peppers, along with fresh or frozen corn. A bit of cajun blackening & Chili lime seasoning gives them an added ZIP!
These are the perfect appetizer with a squeeze of lemon, and a dollop of chipotle sauce. We like them on top of pasta. Prepping them in advance and popping them into the freezer till you are ready to fry up, makes for a no fuss, mid week meal!
If you love spicy dinners, go check out our Blackened Cajun Shrimp and Grits!
Ingredients for the veggie mixture for the crab cakes:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped white or yellow onion
- 1/4 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow or orange pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, shredded
- 2/3 cup frozen or fresh corn, (not canned)
- 2 teaspoons chili lime seasoning
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 10 grinds of black pepper
Ingredients to finish making the crab cakes:
- 1 lb. lump crab meat, picked over to remove any shells
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons whole grain or dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Wondra flour
Ingredients for the crab cake dredge:
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cup panko
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chili lime seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cajun blackening seasoning
Sauté the veggies:
- Heat 1 Tbl oil in large skillet over high heat. Add the chopped onions and peppers, and fresh or frozen corn and sauté for one minute.
- Add in shredded garlic, 1 teaspoon of the cajun seasoning, 1 teaspoon of the chili lime seasoning, 1/4 cup of the green onions, salt, white pepper & 5 grinds of black pepper and cook for 1-2 more minutes, until softened.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
Prepare the crab cake mixture:
- In a large bowl, whisk 2 eggs. Add mustard, 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs, cooled veggies, and mix.
- Add in lump crab meat, and gently fold together, taking care to not break up the lumps.
Form crab cakes:
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F
- Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet and lightly dust with wondra flour.
- Form 8-12 cakes, depending on size you want. (We use an ice cream scoop to keep a consistent size) Place cakes on floured parchment, and dust each with more Wondra flour on top.
- Place the crab cakes in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. At this point, you may store them in a freezer bag in freezer for up to 1 month, if making in advance.
Fry crab cakes:
- Combine the remaining panko bread crumbs with 1/2 teaspoon each of: smoked paprika, cajun seasoning, chili lime seasoning, and 5 grinds of black pepper in a shallow dish. Whisk the remaining egg with 1/4 cup water in another bowl, for the egg wash.
- Heat oven to 300 degrees. Place a grid in a cookie sheet and set aside to place crab cakes on.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet over high heat. Dredge each crab cake in egg wash, then panko crumbs, and fry until brown, for about 2 minutes on each side. Working in batches, remove crab cakes onto grid over a cookie sheet.
- Place crab cakes into oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Category: dinner
Keywords: crab cakes