Everyone seems to have their own twist on crab cakes. For us, it is using colorful red and orange peppers, along with fresh or frozen corn. A bit of cajun and chili lime seasoning gives these crab cakes some zip!
These crab cakes are a perfect appetizer with a squeeze of lemon, and a dollop of chipotle sauce. We like them on top of cajun pasta. These can be prepped in advance, so all you need to do is take out of the freezer, and fry up!
- 1 lb. lump crab meat, picked over for shells
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped white or yellow onion
- 1/4 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped orange pepper
- 2/3 cup frozen or fresh corn, (not canned)
- 1 tablespoon shredded or finely minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili lime seasoning
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 10 grinds of black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons whole grain or dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup water
- Wondra flour for coating crab cakes before egg wash
Sauté the veggies:
- Heat 1 Tbl oil in large skillet over high heat. Add the chopped onions and peppers, and fresh or frozen corn and sauté for one minute.
- Add in shredded garlic, 1 teaspoon of the cajun seasoning, 1 teaspoon of the chili lime seasoning, 1/4 cup of the green onions, salt, white pepper & 5 grinds of black pepper and cook for 1-2 more minutes, until softened.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
Prepare the crab cake mixture:
- In a large bowl, whisk 2 eggs. Add mustard, 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs, cooled veggies, and mix.
- Add in lump crab meat, and gently fold together, taking care to not break up the lumps.
Form crab cakes:
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F
- Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet and lightly dust with wondra flour.
- Form 8-12 cakes, depending on size you want. (We use an ice cream scoop to keep a consistent size) Place cakes on floured parchment, and dust each with more Wondra flour on top.
- Place the crab cakes in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. At this point, you may store them in a freezer bag in freezer for up to 1 month, if making in advance.
Fry crab cakes:
- Combine the remaining panko bread crumbs with 1/2 teaspoon each of: smoked paprika, cajun seasoning, chili lime seasoning, and 5 grinds of black pepper in a shallow dish. Whisk the remaining egg with 1/4 cup water in another bowl, for the egg wash.
- Heat oven to 300 degrees. Place a grid in a cookie sheet and set aside to place crab cakes on.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet over high heat. Dredge each crab cake in egg wash, then panko crumbs, and fry until brown, for about 2 minutes on each side. Working in batches, remove crab cakes onto grid over a cookie sheet.
- Place crab cakes into oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Category: dinner
Keywords: crab cakes