There is something about cherry limeade cupcakes that remind me of summer as a kid. As a matter of fact, if I close my eyes, I can imagine hanging out with my friends, drinking cherry limeades right now! Of course I always asked for an extra lime squeezed into my limeade! Not only do these cherry limeade cupcakes have an extra dose of lime with the zest, they also are brushed with lime simple syrup that soaks in! Coupled with cherry butter cream frosting, and a cherry on top, these treats deliver a flavor punch!
If you are just a fan of limeades, hold the cherry, just skip the cherry frosting in this recipe, and make our traditional cream cheese frosting featured in this recipePrint
Ingredients for cake:
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup cake flour
- 1 tsps baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp lime zest
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp almond extract
Ingredients for Simple Syrup:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
Ingredients for Cherry Frosting:
- 3 cups softened butter
- 6 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp real cherry extract
- 6 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- a few drops red food coloring
- 24 maraschino cherries
Instructions for Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 muffin tins with cupcake tins. Sift flours into a bowl. Measure in rest of the dry ingredients, and whisk together, set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse sugar and lime zest until finely ground. This may take a minute. Add this mixture, and butter into the bowl of a stand mixer, and whip until fluffy. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Now its time to add in egg and egg whites one at a time, mixing between additions. Next, stir in vanilla and almond extract.
- Using a 2 cup measuring cup, measure in 1 cup of buttermilk, then add in the 4 tablespoons of lime juice, and stir to blend.
- Working in 3 batches, alternate the buttermilk mixture and the flour mixture starting and ending with the flour mixture. Mix between each addition. Using a spatula, scrape down sides of bowl.
- Spray the paper cupcake wrappers with a non stick spray. Using an ice cream scoop, or a 1/4 cup measuring cup, divide batter among the 2 muffin tins. Place each pan on a rack in the oven.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, turning pans and swiping racks half way through the baking process. Check doneness by inserting a toothpick that comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool, but still be slightly warm when you brush with syrup.
Instructions for Lime Simple Syrup:
- Bring the lime juice and sugar to a boil in a small pot.
- Cook for 5 minutes at a low boil. Pull off stove and allow to cool till just warm.
- Brush the lime syrup over the cupcakes while they are still slightly warm.
Instructions for Cherry Buttercream Frosting:
- Add softened butter to the bowl of a stand mixer. Whip butter until fluffy.
- Its time to start to measure in the confectioner sugar 1/4 at a time, mixing in between. Together with the cherry extract add in the maraschino cherry juice.
- Drop in a few drops of red food coloring, and whip to check color. Add more if needed. Be sure to scrape down sides to ensure coloring is mixed through.
- Using a bag and fitted tip, pipe frosting onto the cooled cupcakes to form a swirl pattern, or use a butter knife to frost them. Add a maraschino cherry to the top of each cupcake, pressing in slightly.
- Category: baking