For the Dough:
- 1 ½ cup warm milk (about 110 degrees F)
- 4 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 9 Tbls salted butter melted and cooled
- 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
For the Filling:
- 2 sticks butter softened but not melted
- 3 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 5 Tbls cinnamon
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
For the Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup salted butter (softened)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbls heavy cream or half and half
For the Dough:
- Wisk the yeast into the warm milk and let stand for 3-4 minutes.
- Mix flour, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Wisk eggs and butter into milk mixture.
- Pour wet ingredients over the dry and blend until the dough comes together. A firm rubber spatula or plastic bench scraper works well.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured counter and gently knead until the dough is firm but still a little sticky. This should take about 3-4 minutes.
- Lightly coat a large bowl with vegetable oil. Place the dough into the oiled bowl and cover with a moist dish towel. Set the bowl in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size about 1 hour.
- Prepare the filling by mixing the brown sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
Roll out cinnamon rolls:
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a rectangle. Spread the softened butter onto the dough. I like to use my hands.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over the butter. Make sure that coverage is even, but not all the way on one edge.
- Starting on the long end, roll the dough up firmly, tucking the ends in as you go. Cut into 12 slices and place in a greased 9×13 baking pan. Cover the pan with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with oil and allow the rolls to rise for 1 hour or until nearly double.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Warm the heavy cream until the chill is off. Once the rolls have risen, pour the heavy cream over the top of the rolls, allowing it to soak down in and around the rolls.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-22 minutes, until the rolls are lightly golden brown and the center rolls are cooked through. Rotate the rolls at 10 minutes. If they are getting too browned, cover loosely with foil for the remaining baking time.
- In a medium mixing bowl blend the softened cream cheese and butter until smooth using a hand mixer or stand mixer. Slowly add powdered sugar.
- Add vanilla. Add enough cream until desired consistency is reached.
- Spread the frosting over the warm rolls.
- Prep Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: breakast
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: cinnamon rolls, cream cheese frosting