- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ onion, chopped fine
- 3 small jalapenos, seeded, 1 cut into rings, 2 cut into small dice
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 2 Hatch chilies
- 1 pablano chili
- 3–4 garlic cloves, shredded finely with a micro plane
- 1 c. half and half
- 1 lb. white American cheese cut into cubes
- 6 oz Monterey jack cheese, cut into cubes
- 6 oz. Pepper Jack cheese, cut into cubes
Pico de Gallo:
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 small red onion, very small dice
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons finely minced fresh cilantro, to taste
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Dash of sea salt
- ¾ pound sliced brisket, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can black beans, drained, & rinsed with water
- 1 teaspoon chili lime spice
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- Place jalapeno rings into vinegar in glass bowl, sit aside
- Roast hatch chilies over an open flame till black. Add chilies into a glass bowl, and cover with plastic wrap for at least 20 minutes
Prepare Pico de Gallo:
- Now put all the ingredients for pico de Gallo into a bowl. Stir gently and check for seasoning. Set aside to allow flavors to blend.
- In a cast iron pan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the onion and sweat for 1 minute. Now add in jalapeno, sweating another minute.
- Stir in garlic, and continue to stir, until garlic melts into butter, making sure to not burn.
- Pour in half and half and bring to a simmer, stirring continuously. One by one add in all of the cubes of cheese and stir until melted.
Finish preparing the chilies:
- Remove hatch chilies & under running water, remove skin and seeds
- Slice chilies into small strips
- Stir chilies into the queso
- Warm the beef broth in a pan, to a slow simmer.
- Add smoked brisket and allow to warm gradually.
Finish the Queso with toppings:
- Squeeze ½ a lime into the black beans in a glass bowl, and sprinkle with chili lime seasoning
- Warm black beans for 45 seconds on microwave, then sprinkle with cilantro
- Top queso with black beans, brisket, additional jalapenos & cilantro
- Serve with warmed tortilla chips and guacamole
Substitute any of your favorite peppers for the hatch chilies.