For the Lemon Meringue Pie Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 8 tbls butter, cold
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup ice water (mixed with 1 tsp cider vinegar)
For the Lemon Meringue Pie filling:
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 Tbls cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- ¾ cup fresh lemon juice plus
- 2 tbls gently packed lemon zest
- 6 egg yolks
- 5 Tbls butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tsp lemon extract
For the Meringue:
- 6 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Whisk together the flour, salt, and sugar
- Cut the butter into small cubes. Using a pastry cutter, work it into the flour mixture until it’s well incorporated and the butter is the size of small peas.
- Tossing with a plastic bench scraper, drizzle in the ice water. Stop adding water when the dough starts to come together, and grab it in your hands. If it holds together easily, without crumbling, it’s ready. If it has dry spots, or pieces break off easily, add a bit more water until it’s totally cohesive.
- Gather the dough into a ball, and divide it in half. Gently pat/shape each half into a rough disk. Cover in plastic wrap. Chill the dough for at least 1 hour before rolling.
- Roll dough into a flat circle, place into a pie pan and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Crust should be cooked through and golden brown. Tip: use pie weights to keep the bottom flat.
Instructions for the Lemon Filling:
- Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Add the lemon juice and 2 1/4 cups water and whisk to combine.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a separate medium bowl.
- Place the sugar mixture over medium heat and cook, gently whisking, until the mixture begins to bubble and is thick.
- Temper the eggs yolks by slowly adding half of the hot sugar mixture to the yolks while constantly whisking. Add the tempered yolks to the saucepan and return to the heat.
- Bring the mixture back to a simmer and cook, stirring constantly with a spatula for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, lemon zest and lemon extract until completely melted and incorporated.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and pour into baked pie shell.
Instructions for making meringue:
- Fill medium saucepan one quarter full with water. Bring water to a simmer over medium heat.
- Combine egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in a heatproof bowl and place over saucepan. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are warm to the touch, about 4 minutes. Test by rubbing the mixture between your fingers. The mixture should feel smooth, if it feels gritty, the sugar is not completely dissolved yet.
- Transfer mixture to electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and whip, starting on low speed, gradually increasing to high until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 10-12 minutes. Add vanilla, and mix until combined.
- Using a spatula, cover the lemon pie with the meringue. Cover completely to the edges. Now, using pulling up motions, create peaks with the meringue.
- At this point you can use a torch to brown peaks, or place under the broiler for just a few minutes, watching carefully.
- Keep pie in refrigerator until you serve. This meringue will stay set for a few days.
Keywords: lemon meringue pie, pie