Who loves buttermilk donuts? The bumpy surface. That glaze. Oh yeah, you know what we are talking about. Let’s do this!
INGREDIENTS FOR DONUTS
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Vietnamese cinnamon
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 6 cups vegetable oil (enough for 2–3 inches in pan you are frying donuts in)
INGREDIENTS FOR BASIC GLAZE
- 3 rounded cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 (scant) cup half and half or heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- dash of sea salt
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- Juice of one Meyer lemon
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries, muddled
DIRECTIONS FOR DONUTS:
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together 1 cup of flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg using a whisk to blend.
- In small mixing bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter, and eggs.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet and mix till blended, do not over mix.
- Flour a clean surface. Put donut dough on surface and lightly kneed so its no longer sticky. Add more or less flour as necessary to make a soft dough that is moist and slightly tacky. May make ahead. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- When ready, roll out dough, and cut with donut cutter on floured surface.
- Put oil in a dutch oven, and heat until 350 degrees.
- Test a donut hole to ensure center is done.
- As you cook donuts, turn over when golden and put on a cooling wire rack to drain oil.
DIRECTIONS FOR GLAZE:
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together all ingredients, using a wisk to get out any lumps.
- Add more sugar or cream to get a thick but run off the spoon consistency.
- Divide mixture into 3 bowls.
- Add cocoa powder to one bowl, mix, and check flavor & consistency and adjust to taste by adding more of cocoa powder, sugar, or half and half.
- Muddle the blueberries by using a mortar and pistol, or by smashing with a fork, but must be very smooth.
- Add the lemon juice to the blueberries, then fold into the 3rd bowl of glaze.
- Adjust by adding more sugar or cream as needed.