PEA & SPINACH PUREE INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2–3 teaspoons vegetable stock, if needed to thin down
- 5 Cups Chicken or Vegetable stock
- 2 Cups Arborio Rice
- 3 Medium Shallots, finally diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- Reserve 1/2 cup of peas to cook for 5 minutes as garnish, right before serving.
- Add 1 1/2 peas to a pot of salted boiling water for 3 minutes. Remove peas and shock in cold water with ice to stop the cooking and keep bright green. Pat the Peas dry with paper towels.
- Add Peas, a few handfuls of fresh spinach to blender. Measure in oil, salt & pepper, and blend, adding broth if too thick.
- Sauté shallots & garlic in 4 tablespoons butter in a large pan over medium heat. Grind 6 or 7 grinds of fresh black pepper over mixture.
- Stir in the arborio rice, stirring to toast the rice. This will take a few minutes.
- Add wine, and scrape pan. Slowly add in warmed broth one cup at a time, stirring as needed
- Continue to stir in broth until a creamy consistency, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in 4 tablespoons butter, till melted. Add parmesan cheese, stirring to incorporate.
- Stir in pea puree, and taste for seasoning
- Cook reserved peas for 5 minutes for garnish
Serve with grilled shrimp, chicken, or seared scallops for a complete meal!
- Category: entree
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pea risotto