Red Skin Potato Salad is a crowd-pleaser as a side dish for any BBQ! Our oldest son adores this salad and often prepares it to accompany his weekend-smoked ribs. Featuring bacon, pickles, hard-boiled eggs, and ample amounts of creamy mayo, this salad is always a winner. We prefer serving it warm, soon after it’s made.
After much procrastination, I’ve finally jotted down this recipe. As a child, my mother prepared it for us without pickles. However, around 15 years ago, I tasted potato salad with relish at a work event and found it delectable. So, I add chopped pickles to my recipe, although hot dog relish works just as well. As my mother always said, “use what you have.”
Why we use red potatoes in this recipe:
Red potatoes are particularly healthy because of the thin, nutrient filled skins, which are loaded with fiber, B vitamins, iron and potassium. Half of the fiber of a potato comes from the skin. On red potatoes in particular, the skin is already super thin, so it doesn’t detract from the taste or texture. This makes them perfect for this recipe.
How long can potato salad last in the fridge?
Instructions for potato salad:
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, then add the eggs and cook them for 10 minutes. Drain the place eggs in an ice bath to cool them down for 12 minutes.8 eggs
- Cut up bacon into small pieces and brown. Drain off grease by placing on a paper towel. set aside.8 strips bacon
- Cut up potatoes leaving skin on. If they are small potatoes, quarter them. If they are large potatoes, cut them into pieces about the size of a large walnut. You want them to be roughly the same size so they cook evenly. They will soften when you cook, so don’t make the pieces too small. Rinse 2 times with cold water, then place in a pot and cover with cold water with at least 1 inch of water over the top of potatoes. Add a generous amount of salt to water, about a tablespoon. Once water comes to a boil, check potatoes after 5 minutes to see if a fork can go thru easily. You want the potatoes cooked, but still firm, so they do not turn into mush. This can take 5-10 minutes after water boils, depending on the size of the cuts of potatoes.3 lbs. red skinned potatoes, salt
- While potatoes are boiling, peel eggs. Quarter all but 2 eggs, leave those in half to place on top of potato salad. Slice green onions. Chop pickles.1 cup dill pickles, 1 bunch Green onions, 8 eggs
- Drain water off of the potatoes once done, and return to pot, season with 1 tablespoon of the chipotle garlic seasoning, and cover.3 tablespoons Chipotle Garlic Seasoning, 3 lbs. red skinned potatoes
- Mix the mayo and mustard in a small bowl.1 2/3 cup mayonnaise, 4 tablespoons Dijon or Spicy mustard
- Add cooked bacon to the potatoes. Then add in the mayo mixture, and pickles. Add in the eggs and fold carefully. Add additional chipolte garlic seasoning and taste. Add in most of the green onions, leaving a few for garnish.8 eggs, 8 strips bacon, 1 cup dill pickles, 1 2/3 cup mayonnaise, 3 tablespoons Chipotle Garlic Seasoning, 4 tablespoons Dijon or Spicy mustard, 1 bunch Green onions, 3 lbs. red skinned potatoes
- Garnish with a few of the boiled eggs cut in half and a few green onions.8 eggs, 1 bunch Green onions
Here are a few other recipes you might also like: