- 18 Scallops
- 2 teaspoons Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 6 cloves garlic, finely grated and mixed with 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 fresh jalapeno, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1/2 poblano pepper diced
- 1 8 oz bag of frozen bag of purple hull peas
- Vegetable stock (just enough to cover the peas)
- 1 8 oz bag shelled frozen edamame
- 1 8 oz bag of frozen corn
Prepare Sea Scallops:
- Rinse sea scallops with cold water, then lay on double layer of paper towels, putting another double layer on top, patting dry.
- Leave for a few minutes to dry, then remove paper towels, place scallops on plate, and put in refrigerator until ready to sear.
- When you take scallops out to cook them, season with salt, pepper, and chili lime seasoning.
- Have a cast iron skillet that is big enough not to crowd scallops ready to use.
Prepare Purple Hull Peas:
- Boil purple hull peas in enough vegetable broth to cover them(approximately 25 minutes). Remove from heat, strain and add in 1 teaspoon chili lime seasoning.
- Steam Edamame for 1 minute in bag. Set aside.
- Heat up large skillet with enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom. Get it hot enough to really give the corn a golden brown. Toss in corn, stir to allow corn to cover bottom of pan. Allow to cook, and then stir a few times. This can take a few minutes. You are looking for some golden color, with a little browning for flavor. Set aside in a bowl, and cover with foil.
Prepare onion pepper mixture:
- Wipe out pan you cooked corn in and add a bit more oil and heat up. Add onion in and spread around to sauté.
- After about 30 seconds, add in the garlic. Stir.
Sear scallops and finish succotash:
- Heat oil for scallops, on grill or stove top. Salt, pepper, and smoked paprika on scallops, then turn and season other side. When almost smoking hot, place scallops in pan. Now for a bit of time management! While scallops are searing, you will complete the succotash!
- To the onions and garlic, toss in chopped peppers, and sauté for 30 seconds, just enough to release the oils. Now, toss in strained purple hull peas, corn, and edamame.
- Depending on scallop size, you will turn yours 2-3 minutes after you put into pan. Should have nice brown color. Flip to other side, and give another 2-3 minutes.
- Place purple hull pea succotash in a bowl and arrange scallops over top. Garnish with favorite herb or a lemon wedge! Pour wine. Bon Appetit!!
You can sub in fresh corn, when in season.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: scallops, succotash, healthy