- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 16 oz. container of Betty Crocker Vanilla Rich and Creamy Frosting
- Assorted sprinkles
Prepare and refrigerate cookie dough:
- Cream the butter and sugar. Add vanilla and egg, mix. Mix in the dry ingredients.
- Form into 2 balls. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight.
Cut out cookies:
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Remove one ball of dough at a time, and place dough between 2 pieces of parchment. Roll out to about 1/8 thick. Gently remove top piece of parchment.
- Using a floured heart shape cookie cutter, cut out shapes, and transfer to a cookie sheet, leaving at least 2 inches between shapes, as cookies will spread when they bake.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 6 minutes, then turn, and bake for another 6 minutes.
- Ovens vary, watch for light brown. Pull cookies out, and put next pan in. When your turn the 2nd set of cookies, at half way point, remove first set with spatula to cooling rack. Repeat this process with 2nd ball of dough. If cookie dough gets too soft, while cutting out cookies, place in freezer or fridge for a few minutes to help dough stiffen up.
- Be sure cookies are completely cool before frosting.
- Add 2 drops of rose icing color into the container of vanilla frosting.
- Stir frosting with a slim spatula or a butter knife, making sure to mix color completely in. I don’t put into a bowl, but you can if you want to.
- Frost cookies, leaving an edge. Using striping motion, make diagonal stripes with the colored sugar. Cover cookies with layers of the sprinkles to create designs.
Frost cookies when cool. Allow to set up for at least 1 hour before putting into storage containers. Use parchment sheets or wax paper between cookies in order to keep them from sticking.
- Category: cookies
- Cuisine: american