- 1 cup uncooked barley
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bag frozen corn
- 2 32 oz containers of vegetable broth
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 bag frozen peas and carrots
- 2 cans canelli beans, drained and rinsed
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- A few pinches Red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Italian herbs
- 1 Tablespoon Dried ancho chili powder
Cook Barley according to instructions. While barley is cooking, prep other ingredients.
Heat up oil in a 7 quart Dutch oven, or large pot. Add onions, and stir, allowing to sweat for a few minutes.
Toss in the garlic, continue to stir, for about 2 minutes
Pour in both containers of broth. Add in sweet potatoes and bring to a low boil.
Cook for about 5 minutes, checking that sweet potatoes are tender, but not over cooked.
Season with salt and fresh cracked pepper. Add in herbs, ancho powder and chili flakes
Add frozen vegetables and allow to cook for 3 minutes.
Dump in beans, and tomatoes, including juice. Stir in cooked barley.
Adjust seasoning. At this point, soup can continue to simmer, or be served.
This vegetarian soup keeps in fridge for a week, and up to 3 months frozen.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: barley, healthy, soup, sweet potato, vegan, vegatarian, vegetable