An easy appetizer to make is baked brie in puffed pastry. And you know that adding pears, almonds and jam just make it even better!
It should be noted that 23 years ago, I entered a cooking contest at work, and submitted baked brie in puffed pastry with pesto. And don’t ya know that I was one of the lucky winners! Following the contest, a trip to Birmingham Alabama ensued! That was such an amazing experience to be in those test kitchens!
Without a doubt, I have found ways to switch it up! We have used pepper jelly, a personal favorite of Bruce! In this recipe, I combined fig and pear jam, and added fresh slices of pear!
You can also find a version of baked brie with cranberry sauce here!
- Using a paring knife, scrape white rind off outside of brie
- Place sheet of thawed puff pastry onto a cool surface
- Place brie onto center of pastry
- Slice Pear in half
- Slice out core
- Thinly slice pear slices
- Arrange the pear slices on top of the brie
- Mix Pear & Fig jam
- Cover pear slices with jam mixture
- Fold corners of puff pastry over jam and into the center
- Seal edges of dough
- Snip off corners with scissors, and seal
- Place into a butter coated oven proof baking dish
- Put pan into freezer for 30 minutes
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Whisk 1 egg with a teaspoon of water
- Coat puff pastry with egg wash
- Put brie in oven and set timer for 10 minutes
- Spread slivered almonds onto a cookie sheet
- Place almonds into oven, and set timer for 5 minutes
- Watch almonds carefully to ensure they do not burn
- Pull almonds out and stir, adding the teaspoon of butter, stirring to melt and coat almonds
- Lightly sprinkle almonds with salt, and set aside
- Turn brie every 10 minutes for 20-30, as ovens vary, till golden brown
- Sprinkle almonds over top of brie, and return to oven for 3-5 minutes
- Serve any of the additional almonds along the side of the brie
- Allow brie to rest for a few minutes, but be sure to serve warm
- Serve with crackers, bread, fresh fruit, and an assortment of cured meats
Now go check out all these super easy appetizers, and relax with a glass of wine!
- Category: appetizer
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: baked brie, appetizer, entertaining