Spicy jalapeño pimento cheese is a Southerners dream. Y’all will find us making it year round! In most cases, when we have time, we love to roast up red peppers to make it. Conversely, if you are in a hurry, a jar of pimentos will do the trick! And of course we add a good amount of jalapeños!
Although this jalapeño pimento cheese is a great spread for crackers, it also is incredible as a topping for burgers, biscuits, or melted in a dreamy creamy grilled cheese! Admittedly we always make a double, or triple batch. And when I do this, I make the addition of pepper jack cheese along with cheddar! It makes it so good!
Oh, and don’t forget to try one of our BOURBON COCKTAILS to go with this! Cheers!
- 8 ounce of cream cheese softened
- 10 ounce sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large red pepper roasted, peeled and diced, or 1 jar of pimentos, drained
- 2 jalapeños seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon spicy season salt
Instruction for roasting a red pepper:
- Wash red pepper, and dry. If you have a gas stove, simply lay the pepper over the direct flame, and turn heat to high. Watch carefully and turn every few minutes to get the skin blackened. You may also do this on your grill outside.
- Another method is roast in the oven. Simply turn oven on to 400 degrees and place red pepper on a cookie sheet, and place in oven. Check every 10 minutes, turning, till skin is blistered.
- Once pepper is blackened, place I a glass bowl, and cover with plastic wrap to steam. Allow to steam for at least 5 minutes, but can sit longer, making sure it is cool enough to handle.
- To remove the skin, break open and remove seeds, stem and skin under running water. Pat dry.
Prepare Spicy Pimento Cheese
- Seed and dice the jalapeño. Dice the roasted pepper.
- Shred the cheese. You can use pre-shredded, but we do not recommend it, as it has stabilizers in it.
- Place softened cream cheese, shredded cheese, red and jalapeño peppers and seasoning into bowl. Using hand mixer, or your hands, mix slowly to incorporate all the flavors.
- Test for seasoning and add additional jalapeño or spices, as needed.
- Store in air tight container in refrigerator up to 4 weeks.