These chewy molasses crinkle cookies were my favorite growing up. In addition to tasting so good, the house smelled heavenly with the aroma of ginger, cloves, and cinnamon. For this reason, I made them often for our 2 son’s when they were little. They just asked for them as the “chewy brown cookies”.
When the weather starts to cool, and the school bell rings, these chewy molasses crinkle cookies will be well received by your family. Of course, you must make an extra batch to send with them in their lunches!
I think that molasses crinkles may not be a showy cookie, but they undoubtedly have got to be one of the most delicious cookies that I have ever made.
For another favorite cookie in our house, check out Bruce’s Sugar cookies.
- 1 1/2 cups salted butter (3 sticks)
- 2 cups dark brown sugar, packed tightly
- 2 eggs (we use Pete and Gerrys Organic Eggs)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 4 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tsp. baking soda
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 3 tsp. ground ginger
- 4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup granulated sugar for rolling the dough in
Prepare cookie dough:
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
- Cream the softened butter and brown sugar until fluffy using a stand or hand mixer.
- Mix in the eggs and molasses. Add the rest of the dry ingredients except flour, and mix.
- Measure flour in about 1 cup at a time, mixing on low in between.
- Chill dough for at least 30 minutes, and up to overnight.
- Roll cookie dough into 1 1/4 “ balls. Dip the tops of them into the granulated sugar, and place onto greased cookie sheet, 3” apart.
- When 2 cookie sheets are filled with the balls, sprinkle each with 2 or 3 drops of water. I just use a cup of water, and dip my fingers in and flick the water over the entire tray of cookies.
- Bake cookies 10-12 minutes, turning and switching shelves half way through. You want cookies to be firm, but not hard.
- Remove cookies from oven, and allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then remove from pan and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- Store in a tightly sealed container in a cool dry place.
Keywords: chewy molasses crinkle cookies