Get ready to tantalize your senses with a delightful Greek lettuce salad featuring succulent blackened shrimp, tangy kalamata olives, creamy feta cheese, and a zesty kick of pepperoncinis. Trust me, this salad is a symphony of flavors that will make you feel like you’re basking in the Mediterranean sun. So, grab your forks and join me on a journey to salad perfection as we dive into the wonderful world of this Greek-inspired delight!
This Greek-style lettuce salad with shrimp is the perfect combination of fresh and flavorful ingredients. The shrimp provides a nice protein boost, while the feta, kalamata olives, and avocados add a delicious Mediterranean twist. This salad is easy to make and can be enjoyed as a light lunch or as a side dish.
We have been making this lettuce salad with shrimp as an easy weeknight meal. The fresh taste of all the bright veggies, and the creaminess of the avocado are the perfect match for sizzling blackened shrimp! A simple dressing for this shrimp salad is made with lemon, olive oil and pepper. It just couldn’t get much easier!
A key thing when cooking shrimp is to make sure that they are cleaned, rinsed and allowed to dry between paper towels before you add the seasoning. This will give the shrimp the perfect crust when you add them to a hot cast iron skillet. You can cook the shrimp inside, but we like to use the outside grill!
What are Pepperoncinis?
Pepperoncinis, also known as Tuscan peppers or golden Greek peppers, are a type of chili pepper that originated in Italy and Greece. These vibrant, elongated peppers have a mild to medium heat level and are typically green or yellow when picked, but they turn red as they ripen. Pepperoncinis are commonly used in various cuisines to add a tangy and slightly spicy flavor to dishes.
These peppers have a crisp texture and a unique taste that is both tangy and slightly sweet. They offer a subtle heat that is not overpowering, making them a versatile ingredient in many recipes. Pepperoncinis are often pickled, which enhances their flavor and gives them a slightly sour and briny note. They are a popular addition to salads, sandwiches, pizzas, and antipasto platters, adding a pop of color and a hint of spice to the dish.
Whether you’re a spice lover or prefer milder flavors, pepperoncinis can be enjoyed by everyone. They add a delightful complexity to the Greek lettuce salad we’ll be exploring, balancing out the creaminess of the feta cheese and the richness of the blackened shrimp. So, get ready to embrace the zesty allure of pepperoncinis as we dive into this delectable salad creation!
Why we love Avocados in our salads:
Avocados are not only delicious but also incredibly good for you. They are often hailed as a superfood due to their impressive nutritional profile and numerous health benefits.
Avocados are packed with healthy fats, particularly monounsaturated fats, which are known to promote heart health by reducing bad cholesterol levels. These fats also aid in the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins and contribute to a feeling of satiety, making avocados a great addition to a balanced diet.
Avocados are rich in antioxidants, which are beneficial for eye health and may help reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration. Additionally, they are believed to have anti-inflammatory properties that can contribute to overall wellness.
Whether enjoyed in salads, guacamole, or even as a substitute for unhealthy fats in baking, avocados offer a nutritious and versatile option to incorporate into your diet. So, go ahead and indulge in the creamy goodness of avocados while reaping their numerous health benefits. Your body will thank you!
Ingredients for Greek Shrimp Salad
- 3 cups baby mixed green lettuce or kale/arugula mixture
- ¼ cup kalamata olives
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- ½ English cucumber
- ½ medium red onion
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 12 large shrimp
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cajun blackening seasoning
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Ground black pepper
- Place the mixed greens in a medium mixing bowl.
- Peal, de-vein and rinse the shrimp. Place shrimp on paper towels to dry. Place dry shrimp in a sealable plastic bag with 2 tablespoons of canola oil and cajun blackening seasoning. Seal the bag and shake to coat all of the shrimp. Put the bag with the shrimp in the refrigerator.
- Drain and dice the pepperoncini rings. Drain and halve the kalamata olives. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and lightly salt. Slice the cucumber thinly. Cut the onion in half lengthwise and remove both ends. Remove the outer skin and julienne the onion into long thin strips. Slice avocado in half, remove pit. Scoop out and slice.
- Pour the lemon juice and olive oil into a small mixing bowl. Add three grinds of fresh black pepper. Whisk until the liquid emulsifies.
- Heat a medium cast iron pan over high heat until the pan begins to smoke. Reduce the heat to medium and add the shrimp. Cook the shrimp about three minutes on the first side. Turn the shrimps over and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Divide the mixed greens onto the center of two plates. Arrange the pepperoncini, kalamata olives, cucumber, tomatoes, onions, & avocado around the outside of the mixed greens. Top each salad with six warm shrimp. Drizzle the dressing over the top add feta, and serve.