We are excited to share our updated version of the Pasta House Salad Recipe! If you have ever visited, or lived in St. Louis Missouri, you know what we are talking about! This salad does not have pasta in it. It is just a big delicious salad filled with artichokes, black olives, red onions, pimentos, and 2 kinds of lettuce. The dressing is a tangy combination of red wine vinegar, olive oil, and parmesan cheese. And yes, the black olives are our addition, so feel free to leave out, or add in!
Once you make this Pasta House Salad recipe for your family, they are gonna ask you to add it to the weekly menu! With the mixture of the veggies and the tangy dressing, you will get a pop of flavor with every bite! Serve this as the perfect side salad to a bowl of pasta, or serve with smoked chicken. (our favorite way!)
What goes into this Pasta House Salad recipe?
- Head lettuce. Be sure to use a freshly purchased crisp head, rinsing and chopping into bite size pieces.
- Romaine lettuce. Yep, the combination of both romaine and head lettuce gives a great texture.
- Artichoke hearts. We used the canned variety, and drain them.
- Black olives. Okay, olives are not part of the original Pasta House Salad Recipe, so feel free to leave out, or add in! Do not substitute green olives or greek olives. Just use the good old fashioned can of black olives, sliced in half!
- Diced pimentos. Sometimes these are hard to locate at the store. Depending on the grocer, they may be with the pickles, or with the Italian food.
- Red onion. If you want to take the bite out of the red onion slice, and soak in cold water in advance.
- Extra virgin olive oil. You don’t have to use extra virgin, but we like the velvety flavor it gives this salad.
- Red wine vinegar. This is something you do not want to exchange for any other kind of vinegar. The flavor is perfect.
- Grated parmesan cheese. Here, you can just use the pre-grated in a jar, as it mixes into the dressing so well, and coats everything in the salad. If you grate it fresh, be sure to grate it fine.
- Freshly cracked black pepper. No need for salt here, as the parmesan cheese has just the salt needed!
Can I make this salad in advance?
Absolutely! The dressing can be made a day or more in advance. If resting the salad in the fridge for longer than an hour, be sure to keep the onions in a different container, an add right before serving. To be honest, the rinsing and cutting of the lettuce does not take too long, so if in a time crunch, make the dressing, cut the onions, and olives, and drain the artichokes, and store in baggies in the fridge.
- 4 cups chopped rinsed head lettuce
- 4 cups chopped rinsed romaine lettuce
- 1 can quartered artichoke hearts drained
- 3/4 cup small black olive sliced in half
- 1/2 cup diced pimentos, drained well
- 1/2 red onion sliced thin
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 10 grinds black pepper
Toss head lettuce, romaine lettuce, artichoke hearts, black olives, pimentos and onion in a large bowl. At this point you can place bowl in the refrigerator until time to serve the salad.
Pour remaining ingredients into a mason jar and shake well. Right before serving the salad, pour dressing over lettuce mixture and toss until well combined.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Category: salad
What to serve this Pasta House Salad with: