The first time I ate pea risotto was in Italy. As well as being there for business, I had some of the best food! As a result of this trip, I returned, craving this bring green pea risotto! Before the trip, our green veggies were an accessory to our risotto! But with this recipe, the peas are the star of the show!
Obviously pea risotto can be paired up with seared scallops or grilled shrimp for a complete meal! We hope you make this pea risotto for your next special meal.
PEA & SPINACH PUREE INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Vegetable or Chicken Stock as needed
- 5 Cups Chicken or Vegetable stock
- 2 Cups Arborio Rice
- 3 Medium Shallots, finally diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan
- Reserve 1/2 cup of peas to cook for 5 minutes as garnish, right before serving.
- Add 1 1/2 peas to a pot of salted boiling water for 3 minutes. Remove peas and shock in cold water with ice to stop the cooking and keep bright green. Pat the Peas dry with paper towels.
- Add Peas, a few handfuls of fresh spinach to blender. Measure in oil, salt & pepper, and blend, adding broth if too thick.
- Sauté shallots & garlic in 4 tablespoons butter in a large pan over medium heat. Grind 6 or 7 grinds of fresh black pepper over mixture.
- Stir in the arborio rice, stirring to toast the rice. This will take a few minutes.
- Add wine, and scrape pan. Slowly add in warmed broth one cup at a time, stirring as needed
- Continue to stir in broth until a creamy consistency.
- Stir in 4 tablespoons butter, till melted. Add parmesan cheese, stirring to incorporate.
- Stir in pea puree, and taste for seasoning
- Cook reserved peas for 5 minutes for garnish