- 10 Fresh Sea Scallops
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- Coarse kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 fresh jalapeno, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 1/3 cup fresh purple hull peas
- Vegetable stock (just enough to cover the peas)
- 1 8 oz bag frozen edamame, or a 1 lb bag of edamame — shell it your self
- 2 ears corn
- Place corn, with husks still on, in Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon oil in pot or pan over medium heat. Add onion, sauté while stirring,, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add hull peas and stock. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender (approximately 25 minutes). Remove from heat, strain and set aside.
- While hull peas are simmering, rinse sea scallops with cold water, then lay on double layer of paper towels, putting another double layer on top, patting dry. Leave for a few minutes to dry, then remove paper towels, place scallops on plate, and put in refrigerator until ready to sear.
- After steamed corn cools enough to handle, remove husks and silk. (It will come off much easier, since it has been steamed!) Chop off large end of corn, so you can hold it steady upright on a cutting board. Use a sharp knife with downward motion to slice off corn kernels. Scrape corn into a bowl and set aside.
- Have a cast iron skillet large enough to not crowd sea scallops ready. We sear our scallops outside on our gas grill, but you can also do so on a stove top.
- Heat up large skillet with enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom. Get it hot enough to really give the corn a golden brown. Toss in corn, stir to allow corn to cover bottom of pan. Allow to cook, and then stir and flip a few times. This can take a few minutes. You are looking for some golden color, with a little browning for flavor. Set aside in a bowl.Heat oil for scallops, on grill or stove top.
- Steam Edamame for 1 minute in a covered dish in microwave.
- Heat oil for scallops, on grill or stove top. When almost smoking hot, place scallops in pan.
- Heat oil in large skillet, toss in chopped jalapeno, and sauté for 30 seconds, just enough to release the oils. Now, toss in strained purple hull peas, corn, and edamame. Toss, and stir to mix flavors and heat thru.
- Depending on scallop size, you will turn yours 2-3 minutes after you put into pan. Should have nice brown color. Flip to other side, and give another 2-3 minutes.
- Place Succotash mounded on plate and arrange scallops over top. Garnish with favorite herb or a lemon wedge! Pour wine. Bon Appetit!!