Bacon & Cheese Muffins
These bacon & cheese muffins are loaded with crispy bacon and gooey cheese, making them the perfect addition to any breakfast or brunch spread. The best part is that they’re incredibly easy to make and can be customized to suit your taste preferences.
We add crispy bacon, and loads of freshly shredded cheese into these muffins for a savory take on a classic! Not only are these muffins delicious right out of the oven with a pat of butter, but they are great served later in the week with a nice bowl of soup. So what are you waiting for, lets make them!
Why you’ll love this recipe
Quick and easy – fry up bacon fresh, or use leftover bacon to make these moist, savory muffins that are perfect for breakfast, bruch, or as a side dish with soup or salad!
Savory and Delicious Flavor – The combination of sharp cheddar cheese and crispy bacon creates a savory and flavorful muffin that appeals to those who enjoy the rich and savory side of baked goods. The contrast between the cheesy goodness and the smoky bacon is sure to please the taste buds.
Versatile Snack or Breakfast Option – Cheese and bacon muffins are versatile and can be enjoyed as a snack, breakfast item, or even as a side dish. People love recipes that can be enjoyed at different times of the day, making these muffins a convenient and satisfying choice.
Texture and Moisture – The inclusion of cheese, eggs, and milk ensures that these muffins have a moist and tender crumb. The crispy bacon adds a delightful crunch on the outside, creating a satisfying texture contrast that many people find appealing.
Sweet and Savory Balance – The addition of a small amount of sugar helps balance the flavors, offering a subtle sweetness that complements the savory components. This sweet-savory balance is often well-received and adds depth to the overall taste experience.
Leftovers are great in lunches – Simply wrap up any leftovers with plastic wrap or foil, and put them in the fridge for an add to a lunch! They go great with soup or chili or salad!
What you will need to make these Bacon & Cheese Muffins:
1. Thick Cut Bacon: Bacon adds a savory, smoky flavor and a crispy texture to the muffins, creating a delicious contrast with the soft muffin interior.
2. Freshly Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese: Cheddar cheese provides a rich, cheesy flavor and adds moisture to the muffins while also contributing to their overall texture. You can use mild cheddar, but the flavor will not be as pronounced. Look for sharp or extra sharp for the best flavor.
3. Eggs: Eggs act as a binder in the muffin batter, helping to hold the ingredients together and providing structure.
4. Milk: Milk adds moisture to the muffins, ensuring they are not too dry, and also contributes to the tender crumb texture. We use whole milk, but you can use 2% or skim, if you prefer.
5. Salt: Salt enhances the overall flavor of the muffins by balancing the sweetness and enhancing the savory notes from the bacon and cheese. Although the bacon is salty, the batter needs just a bit of salt to bring out the flavor.
6. Sugar: Sugar adds a touch of sweetness to complement the savory flavors in the muffins, creating a well-rounded taste profile.
7. Baking Powder: Baking powder is a leavening agent that helps the muffins rise and become light and fluffy.
8. Butter: Butter adds richness and flavor to the muffins while also contributing to their moisture content and texture.
9. Flour: Flour is the main dry ingredient that forms the structure of the muffins. It binds everything together and provides the muffins with their characteristic crumb.
Together, these ingredients create a harmonious balance of flavors and textures, resulting in delicious bacon cheese muffins that are savory, cheesy, and slightly sweet with a moist and tender interior.
How do I re-heat these muffins?
These muffins are best served warm and can be reheated in the microwave or oven. You can also freeze them for a quick and easy breakfast on the go.
Can I change up the flavors in these muffins?
Yes! Try experimenting with different types of cheese or adding in some herbs or spices for extra flavor. We recently made them with smoked gouda and bacon, and they were so good! We have switched out the bacon for breakfast sausage, and loved the taste! We have not yet tried diced pepperoni and mozzarella, but that would be AMAZING!
Should bacon muffins be refrigerated?
Next time you’re looking for a savory breakfast option, give these bacon and cheese muffins a try. They are sure to be a hit with everyone!
- Muffin pan
Instructions for Bacon Cheese Muffins
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cut the bacon into ¼ inch pieces and fry in a pan until cooked through. Drain bacon on a paper towel and set aside to cool.
- Whisk eggs and milk in a mixing bowl. Add in sugar, salt and baking powder. Whisk to combine. Whisk in melted butter and flour until no lumps remain. Using a rubber spatula, stir in cooked bacon and cheese until combined.
- Scoop muffin batter evenly into 12 muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown, rotating halfway through. Remove from oven, allow to cool 5 minutes, then serve.