Years ago I had one of my first cheese popovers. I came home from NYC and told Bruce about this delightfully decadent pillow of cheesy heaven. He decided one day to buy a popover pan and try to re-create what I had described. As usual he wanted to put his own spin on these cheese popovers!
As a result, he has made these when we have steak, as an extra cheesy side dish. We promise you these are worth it.
Ingredients for cheese popovers:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups freshly grated sharp white or orange cheddar cheese
- Place a 6-cup popover pan in the bottom third of an oven. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees, with pan in oven.
- In a glass heat proof bowl, warm the milk in the microwave until small bubbles form around the edges. Measure out the flour and salt onto a piece of waxed paper and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy, about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the hot milk, whisking constantly so the eggs don’t cook, then gradually whisk in the flour mixture until almost smooth.
- Place 2 hot pads on the counter. Remove the popover pan from the oven and set on the hot pads. Quickly spray the cups with nonstick vegetable spray. Fill the prepared cups half way with batter and sprinkle each with cheese. Fill the rest of the way and sprinkle more cheese over the tops, reserving the rest for the 2nd batch of popovers.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes minutes, rotating the pan half way through. Continue baking until the popovers are browned and puffed, do not open the oven after rotating the pan. Invert the pan and remove the popovers. Serve immediately.
- Category: bread
- Method: baking
Keywords: cheese popovers