Rice Krispie treats have always had a special place in my heart. 💕Bruce always made the most amazing Rice Krispie treats for me when we first got married. I would ask him what his secret was. “Extra butter and extra marshmallows” was always his answer.
Well, we know that I am a bit EXTRA myself. And, I love sprinkles. I also love milk chocolate. So, I asked Bruce to make up a big ol’ batch of Rice Krispie treats so that I could make these extra special Valentine Day hearts. I watched carefully so that I could give you the exact measurements.
If you are not as extra as I am, you can just put the treats into a really big pan, and slice them up plain. That is how Bruce likes them. This batch uses up a full large box of Rice Krispies, and 2 bags of mini marshmallows.
Yep, no stuck together stale old half bags of marshmallows taking up space in your pantry!
- 1 Large stock pot
- Heart shape cookie cutters
- Parchment paper
- 2 jelly roll pans
- Rubber spatula
- Wooden spoon
- Heat proof glass bowl or large measuring cup
- 1 heavy duty plastic bag
- 8 Tablespoons salted butter
- 26 oz. mini marshmallows (1 10 oz bag and 1 16 oz bag)
- One 18 oz box of Rice Krispies
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips (can sub semi sweet)
- Cooking spray
- Assorted pink, white, and red sprinkles. (We use a few varieties to make them pop!)
Prepare the kitchen tools:
- Spray rubber spatula, wooden spoon, glass pan, and inside of cookie cutters with spray oil.
- Cover jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Place open cookie cutters on parchment.
Make the Treats:
- Slowly melt butter in the stock pot. Once melted, add in all the mini marshmallows, and stir with wooden spoon.
- Once the marshmallows are melted, pour in Rice Krispies, a third at a time, continuing to stir.
- Working quickly, fill the open cutters to the top, pressing mixture down. Slip the shapes out. Continue until all mixture has been formed into shapes. If mixture starts to harden, turn on heat just enough to warm the mixture to soften it again. Allow shapes to set up.
Melt chocolate and decorate shapes:
- Melt the chocolate chips on half power in the microwave. Start with 2 minutes, and then repeat at half pour for 1 minute at a time, stirring, until smooth.
- Place baggie in a cup, with the sides turned down, and pour the warm chocolate into the bag. Snip the end of the bag.
- Squeeze the chocolate using a smooth back and forth motion over the hearts making sure to get some of the chocolate on the sides.
- Sprinkle with assorted pink, white, and red sprinkles. Allow the chocolate to set up. If the kitchen is warm, you may need to place in fridge for a few minutes.
- Store the chocolate covered hearts in a airtight container, between sheets of parchment.
- Category: Snack
Keywords: Rice Krispie Treats