Bruce has always made these sugar cookies. Undoubtably, it is a favorite of our boys, our friends and our neighbors. Besides being tasty, they just look so dang cute, with the fluffy frosting and sprinkles.
We bake these sugar cookies, and frost them with love. Without a doubt, these bring smiles to all that we gift them to. Above all, be sure to share these with all that you love! And, do your self a favor, and make a DOUBLE BATCH of these.
Prepare and refrigerate cookie dough:
- Cream the butter and sugar.1 cup sugar, 1 cup butter
- Add vanilla and egg, mix.1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix in dry ingredients.2 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar, 1/2 teaspoon soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Form into 1 large log. Wrap in wax paper, and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight. Don't worry about the log being perfect, as the cookies spread out a bit when you bake them. If you are wanting to roll out to cut shapes, form 2 balls and wrap in plastic wrap.
Slice or cut out cookies:
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- If slicing cookies, unwrap dough and slice 1/8 an inch thick slices and place on un-greased cookies sheet.
- If cutting out shapes, remove one ball of dough at a time, and place dough between 2 pieces of parchment. Roll out to about 1/8 thick. Gently remove top piece of parchment.
- Using a floured cookie cutter, cut out shapes, and transfer to a cookie sheet, leaving at least 2 inches between shapes, as cookies will spread when they bake.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 6 minutes, then turn, and bake for another 6 minutes.
- Ovens vary, watch for light brown. Pull cookies out, and put next pan in. When you turn the 2nd set of cookies, at half way point, remove first set with spatula to cooling rack. Repeat this process with 2nd ball of dough. If cookie dough gets too soft, while cutting out cookies, place in freezer or fridge for a few minutes to help dough stiffen up.
- Be sure cookies are completely cool before frosting.
- Stir frosting with a slim spatula or a butter knife.
- Frost cookies, leaving an edge. Using striping motion, make diagonal stripes with the colored sugar. Cover cookies with layers of the sprinkles to create designs.