A Slice of Heaven: Peach Galette with Almond-Infused Cream Cheese
Making this cream cheese peach galette is so simple. We used a store bought puff pastry, for the crust. The real star of the show are the sweet Georgia peaches from Pearson Farm. These are picked by hand and shipped directly to our doorstep. We just slice them up, and layer them onto this peach galette for a tasty that is out of this world.
When the sun-kissed days of summer start to wane and the warm breeze carries the sweet scent of ripe peaches, it’s time to celebrate the season’s bounty in the most delectable way possible. Enter the Peach Galette with Almond-Infused Cream Cheese, a delightful dessert that combines the juicy goodness of peaches with the creamy richness of almond-flavored cream cheese, all encased in a flaky puff pastry crust and topped with a generous sprinkle of coarse sugar for that irresistible crunch.
This rustic, free-form tart is a cinch to make, making it a perfect choice for a weekend brunch, a casual dinner party, or just a sweet treat to enjoy with your loved ones. So, roll up your sleeves, preheat your oven, and let’s embark on a culinary journey that celebrates the flavors of summer.
Ingredients for the Peach Galette with Almond Cream Cheese:
Cream Cheese: Cream cheese adds a rich and creamy texture to the filling. It’s also slightly tangy, which balances the sweetness of the peaches and sugar. The creaminess creates a luscious contrast to the crispy puff pastry.
Egg: (1 for the filling, 1 for egg wash):Eggs are binding agents in the cream cheese filling. The egg in the filling helps hold it together while baking, and the egg wash brushed on the pastry before baking gives it a beautiful golden brown finish.
Sugar: Sugar adds sweetness to the cream cheese filling, enhancing the overall flavor of the galette. It also helps create a caramelized, slightly crispy exterior on the puff pastry when it bakes.
Almond Extract: Almond extract provides a delightful nutty flavor that complements the sweetness of the peaches and adds depth to the cream cheese filling. It pairs exceptionally well with stone fruits like peaches.
Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract enhances the overall flavor profile of the dessert, adding a warm and comforting aroma and taste to the cream cheese filling.
Lemon Zest: Lemon zest adds a bright and citrusy element to the galette. It provides a refreshing contrast to the richness of the cream cheese and helps cut through the sweetness, making the dessert more balanced.
Puff Pastry: Puff pastry serves as the base and crust of the galette. It’s flaky, buttery, and provides a satisfying crunch that contrasts beautifully with the creamy filling and soft peaches.
Peaches: Peaches are the star of the galette, delivering a juicy and sweet fruitiness. They pair wonderfully with the almond and cream cheese flavors, and their natural juices create a luscious filling as they bake.
Course Sugar: Sprinkling coarse sugar on top of the galette just before baking adds a sweet and crunchy element to the pastry’s crust. It creates a visually appealing, glistening finish and an extra layer of sweetness.
Together, these ingredients combine to create a Peach Galette with Almond Cream Cheese that’s not only visually stunning but also bursting with flavor and textural contrasts, making it a delightful dessert option.
Preheat and Prepare: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Roll Out the Puff Pastry: Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface into a rustic, rectangular or circular shape, about 1/8 inch thick.
Prepare the Cream Cheese Filling: In a small bowl, mix the almond-infused cream cheese with almond extract until well combined. Set aside.
Fill the Galette with Cream Cheese: Carefully transfer the rolled-out puff pastry onto the prepared baking sheet. Spread the almond-infused cream cheese evenly over the puff pastry, leaving a border of about 1-2 inches around the edges.
Arange the Peaches onto the Galette: Arrange the thinly sliced peaches on top of the cream cheese, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle granulated sugar over the peaches to enhance their natural sweetness.
Fold and Seal: Gently fold the edges of the puff pastry over the filling, creating pleats as you go along. This creates a rustic, free-form crust that gives the galette its charm. Brush the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg to give it a beautiful golden color when baked.
Add the Sugary Crunch: Generously sprinkle coarse sugar over the entire galette, paying extra attention to the folded edges.
Bake to Perfection: Place the galette in the preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and the peaches are tender.
Cool and Serve: Allow the galette to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely. This will help the flavors meld together.
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pre-heat oven to 400 Degrees F.
- Using a food processor, hand mixer, or blender, combine all ingredients for the cream cheese filling. Blend until smooth.8 ounces cream cheese, 1 egg, ¼ cup sugar, ½ teaspoon almond extract, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, Zest of 1 lemon
- Place a sheet of parchment on a sheet pan, and roll out puff pastry on the parchment. Spread the cream cheese filling down the center of the puff pastry leaving about 1 ½ inches around the edge for folding over. Place sheet pan in the freezer to firm the pastry up, while preparing the peaches.1 sheet puff pastry
- Slice peaches in half, and remove pits. Evenly slice the peaches. Set aside in bowl, and splash with half the lemon to keep them bright.3 peaches
- Bring the puff pastry out of the freezer, and working quickly, arrange the peaches in 3 rows on top of the cream cheese filling, overlapping the peach slices.
- Now it is time to wrap the puff pastry inward toward the peaches. Do this by starting on one edge and just pull crust in and continue around the entire outside.
- Brush edge of crust with egg, and sprinkle the crust with the course sugar. Now add the sugar over the top.
- Pop this into the oven. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Spin around at 10 minute intervals. Since ovens vary, watch for a golden crust.
- Allow galette to cool for at least 30 minutes. May serve warm, or room temperature. Store in the fridge wrapped, for up to 1 week.