Who loves that wonderful taste of a wood-fired smoked pizza? What if we told you you could get that smoky flavor on your gas grill? With store bought or scratch made pizza dough, a few simple toppings, and the help of WESTERN BBQ WOOD CHIPS, you can! Plan a pizza party with your friends, your favorite smoked pizza toppings, and get ready for greatness!
This pizza recipe is for a simple Greek veggie pizza. When making pizzas on the grill, it is important to keep the toppings to a minimum, in order to get that crispy, slightly charred crust! Switch up the ingredients based on what you love the most. Swap out the spinach for meat. Simply top with pepperoni and cheese for the kiddos. Add red bell peppers for a bright flavor!
Now let’s talk about how EASY it is to get that WOOD-FIRED smoked pizza taste on your GAS GRILL!! Apple BBQ smoking chips produce a mild but delicate smoky flavor with a hint of sweetness, which pairs well with this vegetable pizza. All you need is foil or a smoker box to use these wood chips on your gas grill. For this pizza party, we make up several packets of the Apple BBQ smoking chips so that we can keep that smoke rolling. We replace the packet every 30 minutes.
This post is sponsored by Western BBQ Wood Chips.
If you decide to add meat to your pizza and want a different flavor, try mixing half WESTERN BBQ HICKORY WOOD CHIPS with APPLE WOOD CHIPS. This combo is PERFECT if you are doing a smoky chicken or sausage pizza. And of course for pepperoni!!
If you are planning a pizza party for the weekend, give our homemade pizza dough recipe a try! You can make this up the day before! Perfect for planning ahead! If you want a simple mid week smoked pizza on the grill, stop off at Trader Joe’s or your local market and grab a bag of pizza dough. When Bruce is out of town, that is EXACTLY what I do!
- Pizza Dough
- Garlic olive oil
- Freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- Fresh baby spinach
- Red onions
- Fresh mozzarella
- Greek Olives
- Feta Cheese
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Shredded mozzarella
You will also need:
- 1 bag Western BBQ Apple Wood Chips
- A pizza stone
- A pizza peel
- 16 ounce Pizza Dough
- 1 Tablespoon Semolina flour
- 1 Tablespoon garlic olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 handful fresh baby spinach
- 1 quarter of a red onion
- 1 ounce fresh mozzarella
- 10 Greek olives
- 2 Tablespoons Feta cheese
- 1 pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tablespoons shredded mozzarella
- Thinly slice a quarter of a red onion. Slice the Greek olives into halves. Shred the regular mozzarella cheese.
- Spread a little semolina flour on a counter, and roll out pizza dough. Transfer to a pizza peel that has been dusted with semolina flour.
- Place a couple of large pieces of foil on the counter, and pour Western BBQ Cherry Wood Chips into the center. Fold over to form a pouch, and roll up the edges on each side. Now, using a sharp knife, poke a few holes in the foil.
- Turn on gas grill and add one of the packets of wood chips to the grill.
- Brush dough with garlic olive oil. Add pecorino, then the baby spinach. Add some of the red onion slices. Now, using your fingers pull apart the mozzarella into smaller pieces and dot over the pizza. Add the sliced olives. Top with crumbled feta cheese, red pepper flakes and just a small amount of shredded mozzarella.
- At this point , wood should be smoking. Place a pizza stone on the grill, and allow to heat up. About 4 minutes. Now, slide the pizza onto the pizza stone. Close the lid, and set a timer for 3 minutes. Check pizza by using a metal spatula to check the crust underneath, slightly turning the pizza on the stone. Continue to set timer for 3 minute intervals, changing to 2 minutes as pizza gets closer to done.
- As smoke slows down, add the 2nd pouch, till it starts to smoke. When the crust has browned underneath, and the cheese is melty, the pizza is ready to bring off the heat. You want to make sure the crust is a medium to darker brown for a crispy crust.
- Slice the pizza and serve! You can continue to make additional pizzas! Just be sure to add more smoking chips!