Sunday Sauce (Slow-cooked Tomato Sauce Recipe)
Created Nov 2021, Updated Nov 30 2023
This homemade Sunday sauce is so easy to make! We make it on a Sunday, so that we have it for the week to use in pastas and on pizza. The longer you cook this tomato sauce, the richer the flavor. We add a good bit of red wine to de-glaze the pan. That leaves enough for you to have a glass of wine while you are cooking it!
This Sunday sauce can be used for so many things during the week for dinner. We love using it in our Italian meatball pasta. It is a great sauce to use for pizza. If you make up enough your can keep it in a jar in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
Baked Italian Sausage pasta is such an easy and tasty dish that you will want to add to your menu.
Try this tomato sauce with a few of our favorite dishes!
- Large pot
- Sharp knife
- Can opener
Ingredients for Sunday sauce:
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 2 medium onions diced
- 9 cloves garlic shredded
- 3 Tbls Italian seasoning
- 1 cup red wine
- 7 ounce can tomato paste
- 2 - 28 ounce cans San Marzano style tomatoes
- 2 – 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
Additional seasoning for tomato sauce once cooked down and blended:
- 1 Tsp Granulated garlic
- 1 Tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbs sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Heat olive oil in a 7 quart pot. Toss in diced onion and sauté until onions are just turning brown.2 Tbls olive oil, 2 medium onions diced
- Add in garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add in the Italian seasoning and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato paste and the red wine. Raise the heat to a simmer and cook until reduced by half.9 cloves garlic shredded, 3 Tbls Italian seasoning, 1 cup red wine, 7 ounce can tomato paste
- Add in the rest of the tomatoes, cover pot and simmer for 2 hours. After 2 hours, use a large spoon to smash and break up any of the large tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 2 more hours.2 - 28 ounce cans San Marzano style tomatoes, 2 – 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
- Using an immersion blender, pulse any large tomatoe piece until desired consistency is reached. Add in a tablespoon of salt and check seasoning.1 Tbs sea salt
- Add in additional italian seasoning, granulated garlic, salt and pepper to taste.1 Tsp Granulated garlic, 1 Tsp Italian seasoning, 1 Tbs sea salt, Fresh ground pepper