Sourdough pizza dough is easy to make ahead so pizza night is a snap! Basically, you already have the sourdough starter, for your bread baking, so you may as well use it for pizza dough, right? Before we started making sourdough pizza, we didn’t realize what we were missing. The crispy edges, the chewy crust, but mostly, the wonderful sourdough flavor!
Instead of tossing that discard, lets make pizza dough! Since this recipe calls for it to be made ahead, you are gonna wanna plan to make it at least the day before your pizza party!
First, you are gonna want to have a digital food scale. But if you are a sourdough bread maker, you probably already have one! The measurements are in grams, but it is super easy, once you set your glass dishes on the scale, and measure it out! And this pizza is worth it!
Next, you are gonna wanna plan to have the ingredients on hand for pizza toppings! Tomato sauce or garlic oil make a great base. Without a doubt, you will want to have a block of mozzarella cheese that you can grate fresh! Obviously you will want a variety of veggies, and meats.
Below are some of our favorite pizza toppings:
- Garlic oil
- Tomato sauce
- Olive tapenade
- Freshly shredded mozzarella
- Thinly sliced red onions
- Italian sausage
- Pancetta or Bacon
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Shishito peppers
Lastly, here are a few more recipes you may also wanna check out:
Ingredients for Sourdough Pizza Dough:
- 400 grams water
- 10 grams instant yeast
- 20 grams olive oil
- 200 grams sourdough starter
- 625 grams flour
- 20 grams sea salt
Instructions for Sourdough Pizza Dough:
- Whisk together water, yeast and olive oil, Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Whisk sourdough starter into the water. Pour flour over the top and sprinkle salt evenly over the flour. Using a stiff spatula mix until well combined. Cover bowl with a moist towel and let dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Using a plastic bench scraper, scoop dough onto a well floured surface. Knead dough until stiff and elastic, about 3-4 minutes. Divide dough into 3 equal pieces for large pizzas. Roll each piece into a ball. Place dough balls onto a sheet pan lined with parchment. Cover with a moist towel and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to make the pizza, let dough sit on counter for 30 minutes. Using your hands, shape each ball on a well floured surface, into rounds. Top with your favorite toppings and bake at 500 degrees for 10 –12 minutes.
Pizza dough can be stored in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Keep in a plastic bag or covered container using parchment paper to avoid dough from sticking to surface.
- Prep Time: 24 hours
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian