Making apple monkey bread is so easy! Create the ultimate Fall brunch pull-apart bread using store bought biscuits! Get your kids or friends to help you make this. Have them cut the biscuit dough with a butter knife and mix the cinnamon sugar in a bag. We make ours in a Bundt® pan, but you can use any pan you have!
Granny smith apples are used in this recipe because they provide a nice tart contract to the sweetness of the caramel. These apples also hold up well in baking, and do not get mushy. This pull apart bread will be a huge hit for a weekend brunch. We use bourbon vanilla in our cream cheese glaze to give this breakfast another layer of flavor.
The fun part, of making this apple monkey bread is opening the refrigerated biscuits, cutting them into quarters and tossing them into the cinnamon and sugar. If you have kiddos helping, they can do this with a butter knife! So much fun!
Although you can make apple stuffed monkey bread by just rolling the biscuit dough in cinnamon and sugar, we prefer to make a decadent sauce with dark brown sugar, cinnamon, butter and bourbon vanilla. This creates a cinnamon apple monkey bread that will be on repeat all Fall long!
What is Monkey Bread?
Monkey bread is a sweet, gooey Bundt® cake made from balls of dough rolled in cinnamon sugar. However, there are savory versions of monkey bread made of cheese and bacon or ham.
Does Monkey Bread Require a Bundt® Pan?
Although the traditional monkey bread is in a Bundt® shape, it’s not a necessity. Monkey bread cooks up in a bread pan, ramekins, or any baking dish. This pull apart apple cinnamon bread can be even baked in foil!
Is there another name for Monkey Bread?
Common names for pieces of dough baked together in a pan include bubble bread, bubble loaf, jumble bread, pull-apart bread, & pinch-me cake.
Ingredients for the caramel sauce:
- 1 stick butter
- 1 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon bourbon vanilla (can use regular vanilla and a splash of bourbon)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
Ingredients for the bread:
- 4 7 ounce cans refrigerated biscuits (we buy the value pack of 4 cans)
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon, divided
- 2 apples
- Cooking spray
Ingredients for cream cheese glaze:
- 1 8 ounce package of cream cheese
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon bourbon vanilla (can use regular vanilla, and a splash of bourbon)
- 4 tablespoons cream or half and half (can use milk)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray a 10-inch tube or Bundt® pan with cooking spray.
- Add the butter to a medium pot set over medium heat. Measure in vanilla and cinnamon, and brown sugar. Using a wooden spoon, stir mixture till it melts. Cook till it is smooth and no more sugar granules show. About 5 minutes.
- Put white sugar and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon into a plastic freezer bag. Close bag and shake to mix the sugar and cinnamon.
- Cut biscuits into quarters.
- Core and cut apples into cubes. We leave the skin on, but feel free to peel them, if you prefer.
- In batches, add biscuits into bag about 8 pieces at a time and shake. Remove from bag and layer half of the biscuit pieces into the pan. Pour half the caramel sauce over the dough. Add half the apples. Repeat this process.
- Add the extra teaspoon of cinnamon to the bag, and repeat the process with the biscuit dough.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown across the top.
- Cream the butter and cream cheese with a mixer, and gradually add in the powder sugar, vanilla and half and half to create a smooth glaze. Add more milk or cream, if needed for the consistency you want. Set aside.
- Remove monkey bread from oven. Allow to cool 10 minutes; run knife around edge of pan to loosen. Place heatproof serving plate over pan and turn over; remove pan. Cool 5 minutes longer.
- Drizzle the apple monkey bread with glaze. Serve!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Apple, Monkey Bread, Bourbon, Cream Cheese Frosting