An easy appetizer to make is baked brie with fig jam in puffed pastry! We added fresh pears and almonds! So good!
It should be noted that 24 years ago, I entered a SOUTHERN LIVING cooking contest at work, and submitted baked brie in puffed pastry with pesto. And don’t ya know that I was one of the lucky winners! Following the contest, a trip to Birmingham Alabama ensued! That was such an amazing experience to be in the Southern Living Test kitchens!
Without a doubt, I have found ways to switch it up! We have used pepper jelly, a personal favorite of Bruce! In this recipe, I combined fig and pear jam, and added fresh slices of pear!
How to prepare the brie and wrap with puff pastry:
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 sheet of frozen puffed pastry thawed
- 1 13.2 oz round of Brie Cheese
- 1 red pear sliced thin
- 2 tablespoon St. Dalfour Fig Spread
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of water
- Using a paring knife, scrape white rind off outside of brie.
- Place sheet of thawed puff pastry onto a cool surface and put brie onto center of pastry.
- Slice Pear in half, and slice out core and seeds. Thinly slice pear slices. Arrange the pear slices on top of the brie.
- Cover pear slices with jam mixture. Fold corners of puff pastry over jam and into the center. Seal edges of dough Snip off corners with scissors, and seal.Place into a butter coated oven proof baking dish. Put pan into freezer for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Whisk 1 egg with a teaspoon of water. Place almonds a butter in a sauce pan, and toast, tossing and stirring for a golden brown.
- Remove brie from freezer and coat puff pastry with egg wash. Place brie in hot oven. Turn brie every 10 minutes for 20-30, as ovens vary, till golden brown.
- At this point, sprinkle almonds over top of brie, and return to oven for 3-5 minutes
- Serve any of the additional almonds along the side of the brie
- Allow brie to rest for a few minutes, but be sure to serve warm
- Serve with crackers, bread, fresh fruit, and an assortment of cured meats
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Pingback:Sweet & Savory Baked Brie - The Perks of Being Us