Savoring the Season: Baked Brie with Fig Jam & Pears
As the leaves start to don their vibrant autumn hues and a crisp chill fills the air, our culinary cravings naturally turn to the warm and comforting flavors of the season. There’s something inherently comforting about gathering with friends & family around a table adorned with delicious food. And what better way to usher in the fall than with a delectable dish like baked brie with fig jam and red pears?
This elegant yet approachable appetizer combines the creamy richness of brie cheese with the sweet allure of fig jam, all wrapped up in delicate layers of puff pastry. But that’s not all; it’s served with a tantalizing medley of fresh fruit, crisp crackers, and an assortment of savory cured meats, creating that perfect party board that will leave your taste buds singing. Join us as we delve into the world of this delightful autumn-inspired treat, perfect for any gathering or simply for indulging in the comforts of home.
What you will need to make this baked brie:
Brie Cheese Round – The star of the dish, brie cheese adds a creamy and indulgent texture and flavor to the appetizer when baked.
Puff Pastry – Puff pastry serves as the delicious and flaky outer layer that encases the brie and its accompaniments, providing a delightful contrast in texture.
Red Pears – Red pears bring a sweet, juicy, and slightly tart element to the dish, complementing the richness of the brie and fig preserves.
Fig Preserves – Fig preserves offer a sweet and slightly earthy flavor that pairs harmoniously with both the brie cheese and the red pears.
Slivered Almonds – Slivered almonds add a crunchy texture and a nutty undertone, enhancing the overall sensory experience of the dish.
Butter – Butter is used to sauté the slivered almonds, adding a touch of richness and a toasty flavor to the nuts.
Egg – The egg is typically used as an egg wash to give the puff pastry a golden and shiny finish when baked, enhancing the appetizer’s presentation.
- 13.2 ounce Brie Cheese Round
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry thawed
- 1 Red Pears
- 2 tbls Fig preserves
- 1 cup Slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Water
- Using a paring knife, scrape white rind off outside of brie.13.2 ounce Brie Cheese
- Place sheet of thawed puff pastry onto a cool surface and put brie onto center of pastry.1 sheet Puff Pastry
- Slice Pear in half, and slice out core and seeds. Thinly slice pear slices. Arrange the pear slices on top of the brie.1 Red Pears
- Cover pear slices with jam. Fold corners of puff pastry over jam and into the center. Seal edges of dough Snip off corners with scissors, and seal.Place into a butter coated oven proof baking dish. Put pan into freezer for 30 minutes.2 tbls Fig preserves
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place almonds a butter in a sauce pan, and toast, tossing and stirring for a golden brown.1 cup Slivered almonds, 1 tablespoon Butter
- Whisk 1 egg with a teaspoon of water.1 Egg, 1 teaspoon Water
- Remove brie from freezer and coat puff pastry with egg wash. Place brie in hot oven. Turn brie every 10 minutes for 20-30, as ovens vary, till golden brown.
- At this point, sprinkle almonds over top of brie, and return to oven for 3-5 minutes
- Serve any of the additional almonds along the side of the brie
- Allow brie to rest for a few minutes, but be sure to serve warm
- Serve with crackers, bread, fresh fruit, and an assortment of cured meats