Oh, let me tell you about these delightful Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies that we adored in our home since I was a little kid! It was a regular thing during December, as my mother, Ida would whip up a large batch of these mouthwatering treats. She would keep them in old coffee cans in the freezer, and of course we would find them and sneak some out!
These Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars have a remarkable resemblance to the beloved Italian treat, biscotti, but with their own unique twist! The espresso, almonds and chocolate come together to form the perfect flavor. These delightful cookie bars possess a special crunchy texture that is simply irresistible.
Just like traditional biscotti, these cookie bars are baked to golden perfection, resulting in a satisfying crunch with every bite. The secret lies in the baking process that allows them to become wonderfully crisp and sturdy, making them perfect for dipping into a warm beverage, just like biscotti.
One of the best things about these cookies was how effortless they were to make. It was almost like magic! My mom would gather the simple ingredients, mix them together, and voilà – the cookie bars would come to life in no time. The aroma of freshly baked cookies, infused with the mesmerizing scent of espresso, would waft through the house, making it even harder to resist reaching for a bite.
Simply mix up the batter, press it in a pan, and cover it with slivered almonds. Slice these espresso chocolate chip cookies while they are still warm, these cookies set up to be a crunchy, treat that will be perfect for dipping into coffee, or milk!
What you will need to make these espresso chocolate chip cookies:
Butter: Butter contributes to the cookies’ rich and tender texture, providing a buttery base that complements the coffee and chocolate flavors.
Sugar: Sugar adds sweetness to the cookies, balancing the bitterness of the espresso and enhancing the overall taste.
Salt: Salt enhances the flavors of the other ingredients, intensifying the coffee and chocolate notes while preventing the cookies from becoming overly sweet.
Vanilla: Vanilla extract complements the coffee and chocolate, infusing a warm and aromatic undertone that adds depth to the cookies’ taste.
Almond Extract: Almond extract brings a nutty and slightly floral essence that harmonizes with the espresso and chocolate, elevating the cookies’ complexity.
Instant Espresso Powder: Instant espresso powder intensifies the coffee flavor, creating a bold and distinct taste that characterizes these cookies.
Flour: Flour provides structure to the cookies, ensuring the proper texture and hold while allowing the coffee and chocolate to shine.
Chocolate Chips: Melting chocolate chips add pockets of gooey and decadent chocolate that perfectly complement the coffee undertones, creating a delightful combination.
Slivered Almonds: Slivered almonds offer a delightful crunch and nutty flavor, elevating the texture and adding an extra layer of taste to these cookies.
Why you will love these cookie bars:
Rich Coffee Flavor: The inclusion of espresso imparts a deep and bold coffee taste, making these bars a dream come true for coffee enthusiasts who enjoy the robustness of espresso.
Perfect Balance of Sweetness: The combination of chocolate chips and a touch of sugar strikes a perfect balance of sweetness, satisfying both the chocolate lovers and those with a sweet tooth.
Easy to Make: The recipe for espresso chocolate chip bars is often straightforward and simple, making it accessible to both experienced bakers and those trying their hand at baking for the first time.
Pairing Perfection: Espresso chocolate chip bars pair exceptionally well with a hot cup of coffee or a glass of milk, making them an ideal treat for coffee breaks or afternoon indulgence.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. standard overn or 350 F. convection oven.
- Cream butter and sugar.1 cup butter, 1 cup sugar
- Add salt, vanilla, almond extract and espresso powder to combine. Add in flour, and mix.1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon almond extract, 2 Tablespoons Instant Espresso Powder
- Add in flour, and mix.2 cups flour
- Add in chocolate chips. Mix in.1 6 ounces chocolate chips
- Press dough into an ungreased 9X13 pan. Sprinkle slivered almonds over top off cookie dough, and press gently. Bake for 25-30 minutes until a golden brown on almonds forms.2/3 cup slivered almonds
- Remove from oven, and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Flip pan over onto a cutting board. This is important: Do not wait LONGER than 5 minutes to cut. You will cut when still slightly warm, otherwise the bars are too hard to cut.
- Use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter to cut bars. We like to do narrow bars, but any shape will do!
- Once bars are cut, allow to cool until set up. Bars will become crunchy, once cooled. Do not move cookie bars when they are still warm, or they will break.
- Store cooled bars in an air tight container.