We happen to have a sweet tooth for this mixed berry cream cheese Danish!
While we love a good berry muffin, this treat takes it up a few notches, yet is so easy! Obviously the almond and vanilla flavored cream cheese in this mixed berry cream cheese adds a whole new complexity to this danish! In addition, the combination of both raspberries and blackberries gives it a taste that is out of this world!
Oh, and BTW, we are fans of easy, like 8 oz. of cream cheese. This recipe uses the entire container of an 8 0z. block of cream cheese. For this reason, we get a super cute teeny cheese cake as an added bonus. Total winning move!
Prepare cream cheese filling:
- Using hand mixer, mix softened cream cheese with sugar, 1 egg and vanilla and almond extract.
- Be sure to mix until all the lumps are removed and mixture is fluffy! Keep filling in refrigerator until ready.
Prepare puff pastry:
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a small sheet pan with cooking spray, or use a piece of parchment paper.
- Open one sheet of puff pastry, and lay on a cool surface, with the more floured side down. Lightly roll with a rolling pin to smooth seams and stretch to a more rectangle surface.
- Using your index finger to measure, cut strips on one side, and then the other, leaving the middle third un-cut. Lay pastry in prepared pan.
- Spread about 2/3 of the cream mixture down the center of the pastry, avoiding top and bottom edge. Reserve the rest for mini cheese cake.
- Alternating rows, line up raspberries and blackberries, reserving 5 raspberries for the mini cheesecake.
- Fold the pastry strips over into center so that they overlap each other. Fold up each end and pinch down to avoid cream spilling out.
- Whisk egg with teaspoon water in a small dish, and using a pastry brush, coat the top and sides of danish. Sprinkle the course sugar of the top.
- Place danish back into fridge for 5 minutes to ensure it is cold, while preparing mini cheese cake.
Prepare mini cheese cake:
- Melt 1 tsp butter in medium size ramekin. Add graham cracker crumbs, and mix. Press with a flat bottom glass or jar.
- Pour remaining cream cheese filling into crust.
- Making a circle add the rest of the raspberries, pushing mostly into filling, leaving tops exposed.
Bake the Pastries:
- Bake both pastry and mini cheesecake at 400 F for 7 minutes, then turn and bake for 8 minutes, watching carefully as all ovens are different. Watch for pastry to puff, and slightly brown.
- Remove, and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes, and serve warm. If there are any leftovers, store covered in refrigerator. This is also delicious served room temperature.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: pastry
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american