Make this caramelized onion and tomato tart for breakfast, lunch or dinner! With just a few purchased ingredients, it can be on the table in about an hour! Add a side salad to this and it is the perfect meal!Print
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry thawed overnight in refrigerator
- 1 tablespoon garlic olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly shredded gruyere cheese
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- 8 grinds fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried Italian herbs
Prepare Onions and Tomatoes.
- Slice one medium red onion. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in skillet. Sauté onions on medium heat, stirring occasionally, till medium brown. Cover and allow to steam on low heat.
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half, and sprinkle lightly with salt. Allow to sit while preparing pastry.
Prepare Puff Pastry:
- Put a piece of parchment paper on sheet pan. Place puff pastry in center. Use sharp knife to score (do not cut all the way through) about one inch around outside
- Use a fork, and generously poke holes all over the center section.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turning pan half way through.
- Pull pastry out of oven, and take the flat part of a fork and smash middle that has puffed up down.
Put Tart together:
- Brush center of pastry with garlic oil. Spread shredded gruyer cheese in center. Sprinkle with herbs.
- Place onions over top of cheese. Sprinkle 1/2 of the freshly shredded parmesan over onions.
- Top with cherry tomatoes, cut side up. Add a few grinds of fresh pepper, and top with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Bake for a total of 30 minutes, turning half way through. If side crust is getting brown, and tomatoes have not quite cooked, cover lightly with foil.
- When tart is done, allow to rest for at least 5 minutes.Use parchment to pick up tart, and move to a cutting, and serving board, and slide out the parchment. Use a sharp knife to cut into 4 squares.
The type of cheese you should use should be a hard, tangy, flavorful cheese. We have used many varieties of sharp cheese combos, and they all turn out so good. Recently we used a whiskey white cheddar along with a drunken goat cheese. Winner combo for sure!
- Category: brunch
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: Puff pastry, caramelized onion tomato tart, brunch, breakfast, easy recipes, clean eating