Freshly baked cranberry orange muffins are just about enough to make everyone happy the rest of the weekend. With cranberry season upon us, do yourself a favor and grab a few bags while they are still around. We keep the cranberries in the freezer so we can make these muffins year round!
These can be made as cranberry orange muffins, or as bread. Either way, the slightly sweet, slightly tangy baked treat is a winner. And can we talk about the orange glaze that you just will fall in love with?
Servings: 12 muffins
Ingredients for cranberries to stir in to muffins:
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Ingredients for cranberry orange muffins batter:
- 1 stick softened butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Pete and Gerrys eggs beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- zest of 3 small or 2 medium oranges
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar for tops of muffins
Ingredients for orange glaze:
- Juice from the oranges that have been zested
- 1 cup powder sugar more or less to make a glaze for the muffins
- Pre heat oven to 375 F convection or 400 F standard. Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with spray oil. Set aside.
- Pick over fresh cranberries, and place in bowl. Add flour and shake to coat. Add brown sugar and shake to coat. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar with mixer or whisk. Beat eggs, and add into butter and sugar. Mix flour with salt and baking powder in a separate bowl with whisk.
- Add flour mixture, eggs and milk to the butter sugar mixture and gently blend, just until mixed. Do not over mix.
- Set aside about a 1/2 cup of the cranberries for the top, and fold in cranberries just until mixed.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop mixture into oiled muffin pan. Top with the additional cranberries, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, turning half way.
- While muffins are baking, juice the oranges, and mix with enough powder sugar to make a thin glaze. Add a bit more orange zest to the glaze.
- Check muffins for doneness when toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then drizzle the glaze on while still warm.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Elaine & James
We can’t wait to try these over the holidays! Love cranberries & citrus!!
Bruce and Dina Miller
Elaine and James,
These are a sure crowd pleaser! And we love making them through out the year, because we save the cranberries in bags in the freezer!
Have the best day!
Bruce and Dina