When you want a FUN cake to make, funfetti cake is the perfect treat! Not only is it light and fluffy, but the frosting is so dreamy and creamy! Rainbow sprinkles just make everything better!
If it is not for a surprise party, enlist a little help to toss the rainbow sprinkles onto the top and sides of the cake! Throw on a few sprinkles, or fully cover the cake with funfetti rainbow sprinkles! Naturally you will want to ensure there are plenty of sprinkles to be used!
Undoubtably a funfetti cake is so fun for a party! On the other hand, if you want to make funfetti cupcakes, this recipe will convert to just over 2 dozen cupcakes!
For the cake
- 1 ½ cup butter
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- 9 egg whites
- 1 ½ Tbls vanilla extract (use clear to keep the cake white)
- 4 ½ cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 1 cup rainbow sprinkles
For the frosting
- 2 cups butter
- 4 – 5 cups powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tbls vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup rainbow sprinkles for decoration
- First, preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease 3 8-inch round cake pans. Line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- Next, using a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. After that, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir the vanilla to the buttermilk.
- Now it is time to add the egg whites to the butter mixture, one at a time, mixing on low speed until incorporated.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk, Starting and ending with the flour. Beat on low speed until just combined. Carefully fold in the sprinkles by hand. Do not over mix or the sprinkle color will start to bleed into the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes rotating the pans half way through. Cool in the pans for 15 minutes. Remove from the pans and cool completely on a wire rack.
- First, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed until creamy and pale in color, about 5 minutes.
- Next, gradually add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time. After each addition, beat on low speed just until the sugar has fully moistened, then turn the speed up and beat until incorporated, about 3-5 minutes.
- Now it’s time to measure in the vanilla and salt. Turn the mixer on low speed and slowly add 1 tablespoon at a time of the heavy cream. Turn the mixer up to medium-high and beat until the cream is incorporated.
Frost the Cake:
- First you must use a cake leveler slice rounded top of cakes off to create flat surfaces. Make sure layers are even.
- Next, place one cake, cut side up onto serving plate, and frost, repeat with next 2 cakes.
- Frost top and sides of cake, and using a flat edge, smooth sides and top.
- Before frosting sets up, place cake in center of a jelly roll pan. Cover the top of the cake with sprinkles. Using a throwing motion, throw sprinkles onto the lower side of the cake creating a pattern. The pan will keep sprinkles from going all over your floor!
Keywords: funfetti cake
You may also like: