Pecan bars with shortbread crust are the best of both worlds! They have that gooey, slightly crunchy flavor of a pecan pie, but are in a cookie, so they are perfect to serve at a party!
This a great idea to make if you want to wrap something up for guests to take home after a get together. They are the perfect size for individual wrapping, or for putting into a tin. We usually make a double batch of pecan bars with shortbread crust, to share with friends and neighbors!
What you will need to make these pecan bars with shortbread crust:
- Brown sugar
- Corn Syrup
Ingredients for shortbread:
Instructions to make crust:
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Butter a 9- x 13-inch baking pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt. Add the butter to the flour mixture. With a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture resembles very fine crumbs.
- Press mixture evenly into the 9 X 13 pan. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned, rotating halfway through. While crust is baking, prepare the filling.
Instructions to make filling:
- In a small bowl, beat eggs lightly. Combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, corn syrup, and 1/2 cup butter in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring gently. Once the filling is brought to a boil, turn off burner and remove saucepan from heat.
- Temper the eggs by slowly pouring about one third of the hot sugar mixture into beaten eggs. Stir the tempered egg mixture back into the remaining hot sugar mixture and mix well. Stir in pecans and vanilla.
- Pour filling over crust. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until set.
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Once cooled, remove from the baking dish and slice into 1- x 1-inch squares.