Without a doubt smoky cherry bourbon smash is the perfect end of Summer cocktail. Along with cherries being at the peak of the season, the grilling season is also at peak! In our experience, smoking fruit brings out the sweetness, and we think you will crush on this cocktail as much as we are!
Not only is this a recipe for a smoky cherry bourbon smash, but we also share with you the recipe for bourbon soaked smoky cherries and smoky cherry simple syrup! Regardless of a single cocktail shake, or a pitcher of bourbon smashes, we are sure this will be a new favorite cocktail!
Lastly, this will get you thinking about what other smoky fruit syrups you can make to whip up some fantastic cocktails featuring house made simple syrup!
And if you are getting back from a round of golf, be sure to check out our spicy pimento cheese recipe too!
Equipment needed to make this cocktail:
- Cherry wood chips
- Lump hardwood charcoal (we use Jealous Devil Charcoal)
- A grill
- Boston shaker
- A few mason jars
Ingredients for Smoked Cherry Simple Syrup:
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups pitted sweet northern cherries
Ingredients for Smoked Cherry Bourbon Smash
- 2 oz. Bourbon, plus a splash for top of cocktail!
- 1 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 oz. smoky cherry simple syrup (recipe below)
- 2 ounce club soda
- 1 cup crushed ice
- lime peel for garnish
- bourbon soaked cherry for garnish
Instructions for Smoky Cherry Simple Syrup:
- Soak cherry wood in water for at least 1 hour.
- Start your grill using Jealous Devil Lump Charcoal.
- Add sugar, water and pitted cherries into a pot that you can use on the grill. Stir to dissolve sugar.
- Once coals are ready, add cherry wood to create smoke. Place pot directly on grill and cover. You want the syrup to come to a boil, so keep the heat relatively high.
- Check every 5 minutes until you see the cherries come to a boil. Once this happens, allow to boil for 5 minutes.
- At this point, bring heat down and allow to smoke for another 5 minutes. Remove from grill and allow to cool.
- Pull cherries out and place into a small mason jar, and add in just enough bourbon to cover. This will create bourbon soaked cherries for many drinks!
- Pour cooled syrup into a jar, and cover with a lid. (we use a small mason jar) This will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Instructions for Smoky Cherry Bourbon Smash
- In a cocktail shaker, combine bourbon, lime juice, and simple syrup. Dry shake (shaking without ice) for about 10 seconds.
- Fill a small mason jar (we use the squatty ones) with ice.
- Pour cocktail over ice, add club soda. Add a splash of bourbon over the top.
- Garnish with a lime peel wrapped around a bourbon soaked cherry using a cocktail pick
Can substitute vodka, or gin to create a different cocktail!