These pecan waffles have a spicy kick to them. We love sweet maple syrup, but sometimes we just want a little savory to balance out that sweetness! Enter Sweet and Spicy Pecan Waffles! Sweet maple syrup, crunchy spicy pecans. All kinds of goodness!
After we had some sweet and spicy pecans left over from a salad we made, we stumbled upon this recipe! Anytime we can add a little spicy to a sweet recipe, we do! The slightly smoky spiciness of the ancho powder gave the pecan waffles a kick! And now we find our selves doing the sweet-savory-spicy thing in even more of our dishes!
Once you make these, we think they may go up on high rotation for brunch!
Make these SWEET AND SPICY PECANS for snacks, salads and more!
Slightly sweet, slightly savory waffles are perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
INGREDIENTS FOR SWEET AND SPICY PECANS
- 2 cups whole pecans
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- a pinch of cayenne (optional)
INGREDIENTS FOR WAFFLES
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 7 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
HOW TO MAKE SPICY PECANS
- Heat a large frying pan on the stove top. Turn on medium heat
- Melt butter
- Add the pecans, brown sugar & spices
- Stir frequently with a spatula until the nuts turn golden brown and smell mouth-watering, tasting half way to add more cinnamon or ancho powder to your taste.
- Remove from heat, and if necessary, from pan, as they will continue to cook after being removed from the heat.
- Save a few whole pecans and set aside for garnish.
- Chop pecans on a board with a knife, to a medium-fine consistency.
HOW TO MAKE WAFFLES
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, stirring just until nearly smooth; a few small lumps may remain.
- Gently fold in cooled spicy pecan mixture.
- Spray your waffle iron with a non-stick cooking spray before preheating it. Cook waffles according to the manufacturer’s directions. For an 8″ round waffle iron, use about 1/3 cup batter; cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the iron stops steaming.
- Serve with butter, warm maple syrup and top with whole spicy pecans. Enjoy!
- Omit Ancho powder for the non spicy version