We love making chicken piccata. This dish comes together in no time, and is such a light dinner served with a side of asparagus. The chicken is simply dredged in a seasoned flour, lightly browned and finished in the oven.
Lemons and capers combine with butter, white wine, shallots and garlic to form the most delicious sauce that we spoon over the top of the chicken. Serve this with a side of roasted, or steamed asparagus. Now let’s pour a glass of crisp wine, and enjoy!
Ingredients for preparing the chicken piccata :
- 2 skinless and boneless chicken sliced in half to create 4 thin slices
- 1 1/2 cup flour for dusting
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon garlic pepper
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil for frying
Ingredients for chicken piccata sauce:
- 1 shallot diced
- 8 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup dry white wine may substitute chicken broth
- 8 tablespoons butter sliced into 8 pieces
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup brined capers rinsed
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Mix garlic & lemon pepper spices into flour. Heat olive oil till very hot. Lower heat to medium.
- Dredge chicken in flour and place in pan. Do not crowd chicken, as you want a nice crust. You should be able to do 2 chicken pieces at a time. Cook until lightly brown, then turn and repeat. This takes 2-3 minutes per side. The chicken will not be fully cooked, as it will finish cooking in oven.
- As chicken is browned, remove from pan and place on the baking grid. Add additional oil if needed, and be sure you bring temp back up before you sauté next 2 pieces.
- Place chicken into 350 F oven, and finish cooking while making sauce.
- Using same pan that you cooked chicken in, sauté shallots for about 2 minutes, until cooked, but not browned. Add in the sliced garlic, and continue to cook for about 1-2 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Deglaze pan with broth, lemon juice and wine, allowing wine to cook off.
- Toss in the butter, a few slices a a time. Continue to stir and allow to thicken. Once butter is complexly melted into sauce, add in capers, and stir. Cook for another minute.
- Gently place lemon slices into the sauce. Cook for another minute.
- Check doneness of chicken by inserting a knife into the center of a piece, looking for clear juice, and no pink center, internal temperature of 165 F. Remove chicken from oven and plate. Pour sauce over top of chicken.