There are many people that go out for Mexican food, just to find really good guacamole. Making guacamole at home is really quite simple. Fresh ingredients are the key to a great quacamole, for sure.
No one ever made good guac with out of season watery avocados. However, in addition to high quality, in season ingredients, we found that a mojajete to use at home can take your guacamole to the next level!
I received one as a gift a few years ago. I was at Rosa Mexicana in New York City. The person hosting us for dinner surprised us all at the end of the delicious night with mocajete’s for all of us. Some were seasoned and some were not. Seasoning is a process that is doing with rice and water in order to get the porous surface prepared for using. I was one of the group that got an un-seasoned one.
If you like this recipe, you may want to also try our caramelized onion guacamole!
I remember telling my husband how great the guacamole was at Rosa Mexicana, and how we could now make it at home! We tended to eat out Mexican food every other week at that time of our life. I am pretty sure it was a tie between the guacamole and the Margaritas. If you asked our son’s it was the cheese dip and steak tacos!
A few weeks later, we got some avocados from a local Mexican grocery store. The perfect house made guacamole was born. Our Guac is always “Extra(good)” now.Print
- 3 medium size ripe avocados
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalepeno, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Juice of one lime
- Add onion, half the jalapeno, 1 teaspoon cilantro to the mojacete. Using the mortar, grind the ingredients down to form a bright green wet paste.
- Cut avocados in half, using a sharp knife to remove the seed by swiping down onto it, and turning to gently remove. Use a spoon to carve out the entire avocado halves
- Place avocado in the mocajete & squeeze a half lime over. Using a gentle rocking motion, start to smash to form a chunky guac
- Season with salt at this point, and taste. Adjust by adding more cilantro, or salt.
- Sprinkle tomatoes on top. Add additional minced jalapeños for more heat.