Anytime we make these peanut butter cookies, we make a double batch. We then roll up a bunch of balls and allow to freeze and keep them in a bag in the freezer, for when we want freshly baked cookies! These cookies are crunchy on the outside, and tender on the inside. Perfect to dip into a cold glass of milk!
Ingredients for peanut butter cookies
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 eggs (we use Pete and Gerrys)
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
Instructions for peanut butter cookies:
- First, whisk flour, baking powder, soda and salt in a bowl.
- Next, blend shortening, butter, peanut butter and sugars with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Now it is time to add in 1 egg at a time until just incorporated.
- Blend in flour mixture.
- Chill dough for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Scoop balls onto a cookie sheet about 3 inches apart, using a small ice cream scoop. Using a fork, smash on direction, then again to form a criss cross design.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, turning baking sheets half way through. Allow to cool on pan for a few minutes, then using a spatula remove to a rack to cool.
To make peanut butter cookies with chocolate kisses, do not press with fork, but bake following directions, and when cookies come out, slightly smash one Hershey’s kiss onto top of cookie. Allow to set up.
- Prep Time: 2 hours and 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: cookies
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: peanut butter cookies