Homemade Fireball Bourbon is so simple to make. Just 2 ingredients. We started making our own fireball bourbon after a discussion with the manager of the liquor store we go to. I let him know I needed fireball for a making some halloween shots. This manager knows us quite well. He also knows we prefer top shelf bourbon. So he looked at me funny, and said, you know this is not really whiskey. I realized then that making our own fireball bourbon was something that needed to happen. Having used red hot candies in some of our hot apple cider drinks, I knew it was gonna be so easy, and so much better tasting.
I grabbed a bottle of bourbon, and of course I knew we had red hots at home. Make as much or as little as you want. The kind of red hot candies I use are the small buttons that come in the baking section near the sprinkles. I always have these on hand in the spice cabinet as every holiday season I would use them for hot cinnamon cider.
Oh, and I am just gonna be honest with you, using Bourbon vs Whiskey is the way to go. All bourbon is at least 80 proof. So, this will be shelf stable. This means no need to refrigerate! These make the MOST PERFECT gift!
Make it with more pronounced cinnamon flavor
Add 4 or five sticks of cinnamon into your bourbon when you add the red hots. This will give the fireball a more prounounced cinnamon flavor. It will give it a rich warm cinnamon flavor that pairs well with the bourbon. If you are more of an apple fan, rather than red hot fan, give our Apple Cinnamon Bourbon a try!
Why you should use 80 proof bourbon
If you use 80 proof bourbon in homemade Fireball, you do not necessarily need to refrigerate it, but it’s a good idea to store it properly to maintain its flavor and quality over time.
Fireball typically contains whiskey and cinnamon flavorings, and while the alcohol content can help preserve the mixture, there are a few factors to consider:
1. Alcohol Content: An 80 proof bourbon (40% alcohol by volume) should have enough alcohol to inhibit the growth of harmful microorganisms, so it doesn’t require immediate refrigeration for safety reasons.
2. Flavor and Quality: Like many homemade infusions or liqueurs, the flavors in homemade Fireball can evolve and meld over time. Some people prefer to let the flavors meld together for a while, which can happen better at room temperature.
3. Shelf Life: Homemade Fireball can have a decent shelf life, but it’s essential to store it in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight and temperature extremes to maintain its quality.
However, if you live in a particularly hot and humid climate, or if you plan to store your homemade Fireball for an extended period, refrigeration can help prolong its shelf life and slow down any potential changes in flavor. Just make sure to use a well-sealed container to prevent the absorption of odors from the refrigerator.
Ultimately, whether or not you refrigerate your homemade Fireball depends on your preferences and how quickly you plan to consume it. If you’re going to consume it relatively quickly, storing it in a cool, dark place should suffice. If you intend to keep it for an extended period, refrigeration can be a good precaution.
Now it’s time to try out a few recipes made with Fireball!
Here’s a recipe for a Fireball Apple Cider Sour, a delicious and slightly tart cocktail with a hint of cinnamon spice:
Fireball Apple Cider Sour
- 2 oz Fireball Cinnamon Whisky
- 1 oz fresh lemon juice
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- 1 oz apple cider
- 1/2 oz simple syrup (adjust to taste)
- Apple slice or lemon twist for garnish (optional)
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add 2 ounces of Fireball Cinnamon Whisky to the shaker.
- Pour in 1 ounce of fresh lemon juice and 1 ounce (30 ml) of fresh lime juice.
- Add 1 ounce of apple cider to the mix.
- To sweeten the cocktail, add 1/2 ounce of simple syrup. You can adjust the sweetness by adding more or less syrup to suit your taste.
- Close the cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for about 10-15 seconds to chill the mixture and combine all the ingredients.
- Strain the cocktail into a rocks glass filled with ice.
- If desired, garnish your Fireball Apple Cider Sour with a thin apple slice or a twist of lemon peel for an extra touch of flavor and presentation.
This cocktail offers a perfect balance of tartness and sweetness with a kick of cinnamon spice from the Fireball whisky. It’s a refreshing and cozy drink, perfect for fall or any time you want to enjoy a unique and flavorful sour cocktail.
Fireball Cinnamon Whisky and Topo Chico
Fireball Cinnamon Whisky and Topo Chico mineral water can make for a simple and refreshing cocktail. Here’s a basic recipe for a Fireball and Topo Chico drink:
- 2 oz Fireball Cinnamon Whisky
- 6 oz Topo Chico mineral water (or other sparkling mineral water)
- Lime wedge or wheel for garnish
- Fill a highball glass with ice.
- Pour 2 ounces of Fireball Cinnamon Whisky over the ice.
- Top off the glass with 6 ounces of Topo Chico mineral water or your preferred sparkling mineral water. Adjust the amount to your taste; you can use more or less depending on how strong or light you want the drink to be.
- Give the mixture a gentle stir to combine the Fireball and mineral water.
- Garnish your Fireball and Topo Chico cocktail with a lime wedge or wheel for a touch of
- 1 750 ml of bourbon
- 6 ounces of red hot candies 3/4 cup
- Place the red hot candies in a large jar, and pour the bourbon over them. Seal jar, and allow to sit overnight. The candies will melt, and give the bourbon a bright red color.
- The next day, strain out any candies left. Now you can pour the red hot bourbon into small mason jars or apothecary bottles for gifts. Because bourbon is 80 or higher proof, this is now shelf stable.
If you love BOURBON, you may want to take a peak at these recipes….