These chocolate cupcakes will be what dreams are made of. Whether it is for Valentines day, a birthday, or a shower, these cupcakes will what everyone can’t stop talking about!
Obviously we love layers of flavors, and these cupcakes are no exception. We layered up all the goodness. How could anyone resist?
Unlike your average chocolate cupcake, these are topped a layer of chocolate ganache! In addition to the ganache, we piled on a big ole dollop of dreamy fresh strawberry cream cheese buttercream frosting!
Finally, we topped these gorgeous little gems with a hand dipped chocolate ganache covered strawberry!
Wanna stick with just chocolate cupcakes? Head over to our chocolate butter cream frosted chocolate cupcakes!
Ingredients for chocolate cupcakes:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1 cup milk buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
Ingredients for Ganache to dip strawberries and for frosting:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 12 oz. semi sweet chips
- 36 whole strawberries, stems intact
Ingredients for strawberry cream cheese frosting:
- 1 quart strawberries, stems removed, halved
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups confectioner sugar
Instructions for the chocolate cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Prepare two cup cake pans by placing cupcake papers in them and spray with baking spray. Put water in a small pot to boil.
- Measure dry ingredients into a bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk to combine.
- Add all wet ingredients except the water and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully measure in boiling water to the cake batter until smooth.
- Using an ice cream scoop, measure the batter evenly into the cupcake liners. Only fill cupcake papers half way, as you are looking for a more flat cupcake, not one that comes over the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes, rotating pans half way thru until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least a half hour.
Instructions for ganache:
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces, and place in a heat proof bowl.
- Heat the heavy whipping cream in a small pot, over a low flame until slight bubbles form.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and let it sit for 2-3 minutes. Slowly whisk the mixture, using a one direction motion, until chocolate is smooth and glossy.
- Allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- Dip strawberries into ganache, and place on side on a parchment paper. Place strawberries in fridge to set up. Ganache will remain tacky, this is okay!
Instructions for the strawberry cream cheese frosting:
- Allow butter and cream cheese to come to room temperature. I like to get it out in the morning, if making in the afternoon.
- Add strawberries to a blender, and pulse till a smooth consistency, scraping down side of blender as needed.
- Place strawberry mixture in a small pot, and cook over a medium heat to reduce the water out of the mixture. This will take about 30 minutes. Continue to stir and adjust heat to avoid burning the mixture. Strain mixture thru a strainer, using the back of a spoon to press as much of the puree out as you can. Place in refrigerator to cool.
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese using a mixer. Add in the confectioner sugar, one cup at a time, mixing in between additions.
- Add in strawberry puree, half at a time, mixing in between. At this point, frosting may be soft, so place in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes, to stiffen up, and then beat again.
Instructions to assemble cupcakes:
- Using a butter knife, smooth a layer of ganache over top of each cupcake, leaving a small edge showing.
- Place the cupcakes, still in the cupcake tin into the fridge for the ganache to set up, at least 20 minutes.
- Fill a piping bag with the strawberry cream cheese frosting. Place in fridge for about 10 minutes.
Top cupcakes with strawberries:
- Bring cupcakes out of fridge, and pipe a high swirl of frosting onto each of the cupcakes, allowing an edge of the ganache to show. Put cupcakes back into fridge to allow the cream cheese frosting to set up.
- At this point, if you are going to take cupcakes to an event, travel with the chocolate covered strawberries separate and arrange at the event. If you are ready to serve at your house, top each cupcake with a strawberry!
If you know you will not serve all the cupcakes at one, do not place the ganache covered strawberry onto the cupcake until serving, to avoid the strawberry juice to bleed down into the cupcake.
- Category: treats